This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Could this work as a ballet?

This is from an opera list I read. It is from the International Herald Tribune, but I was unable to find a link to the article at that site.

**A Russian composer has drawn inspiration from the Monica Lewinsky affair for an opera based at the Kremlin. The Saratov Opera has agreed to show

"Monica in the Kremlin" by Vitali Okorokov, who said the penultimate scene of the opera will be when Lewinsky meets with the Russian president,

Vladimir Putin, and is revealed to be a double agent working for the KGB and the CIA.**

There is one from an Indian news site:

http://headlines.sify.com/530news3.html

This is even better (because true) than the parody opera based on "Don Giovanni" with Bill Clinton as the Don, James Carville as Leporello, Monica Lewinsky as Zerlina, etc.

Oh, would that ballet choreographers had this much imagination!!!! One problem is thought, that since ballet companies seem to retire people at 30 now, it's becoming harder and harder to deal with mature plots. Ethan Stiefel as Bill Clinton? Ashley Tuttle as Monica? De Luz as Putin?? Too short, too young. frown.gif

Happy New Year, Ed -- good to see you posting again. We've missed you smile.gif And thanks for the links -- they're a good laugh.

Anyone with good, solid, newsworthy ballet ideas?

Alas, the right choreographer, Kenneth MacMillan, is no longer with us. Given the weight standards for today's dancers, I do not think a woman dancer of the requisite pulchritude could be found to assume the role of Monica, and in this case it is crucial to casting the role. We'd need a robust lady one could imagine flashing her thong at a fellow. Elssler would be right for it. (Also Lynn Seymour, by which I don't mean to imply that Seymour was as chubby as the dancers of Elssler's day, only that she had the sauce and daring for the part. And she could also do Monica's more vulnerable moments splendidly. What she and MacMillan could have done with the scenes where poor Monica is shut away in the hotel room with a bunch of threatening government agents and no lawyer!)

A similar problem appears when casting our former Fearless Leader. After all, there is that important moment when he sucks in his tummy for Monica's benefit and she assures him that she likes a pot on a guy.