18 replies to this topic

#16 rkoretzky

rkoretzky

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 04:27 AM

You are a gentleman, and I thank you, but not even necessary. I admit I was feeling prickly yesterday, my bad. Today will be a better day, I hope!

In turn I want to reiterate the value (and enjoyment) of reading reviews.

Now I have a suggestion for those of us in the arctic Northeast, with snow predicted and single digit temps here. Let's just go to California and watch SF Ballet for ourselves!--are they back yet?

#17 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 10:46 AM

thanks koretzky -- well, nutcracker opens Dec 10..... I can't say I'm excited, the productoin is garish and sentimental and makes all the old people look grotesque, and hte second act decor emphasizes whipped cream and chocolate syrup instead of crystallized ginger and toasted pecans and is horribly out-of-keeping with the musical characterization of Konfiturenburg, and the treatment of the children is patronizingrather than respectful -- but the snow scene is great, the dancing doll can be wonderul, so can the belly dancer (Arabian --Julia Adam's arms were like smoke when she did it) and hte trepak is exhilarating.....

I've never liked Christensen's grand pas, though Violette Verdy has said SHE likes it -- I wish I'd seen her do it, it's almost impossible to makes it interesting, the dancers have to be so cautious just to get through it.... Vanessa Zahorian arrived in town already dancing it better than anybody I'd ever seen doing it -- saw her at a children's matinee, with Guennadi Nedviguine ( they made their company debuts as Sugar Plum and cavalier at 11AM on a Wednesday or so) -- wow that was fantastic.....

that's my main reason for wanting to go -- to see the dancers again, and to see the debuts..... we haven't seen Sarah van Patten yet --

But doesn't anybody else have anyting they want to say about Serenade? what was wrong with the staging?how was the waltz?

Re Chi Lin -- it seems to me Tomasson wanted to make something with the flavor of the Golden Idol's dance from Bayadere.... a temple with statues "come to life" and dancing on a scale that justifies all the aspirations of heroic, bravura dancer-athletes, the Chabukianis... It doesn't get there for me, mostly because such things have to take you by surprise and end before you want them to..... also, the music is somehow prosaic

#18 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 11:00 AM

Go figure -

I saw Zahorian do the Christensen Grand pas with Nedviguine in '99 at the Erik Bruhn competition in Toronto, and I liked it! It could have been the novelty, it could also be that Zahorian made it look unforced (she did quadruple fouettes like someone else would do a double.) She won, by the way (he did, as well, but shared the prize).

#19 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 04 December 2002 - 11:35 AM

Zahorian has better insight into what it has to offer than anyone els I've ever seen do it, the dynamics -- and on a great day I'm sure she can slice it up --

I still wish I'd seen Violette..... Christensen was a musician as well as a dancer, his son is a conductor, his work has its own musicality -- actually, I wish I'd seen Nancy Johnson, who created many of Christensen's roles and had a sense of his musicality, from all I hear, that I WISH I hadn't come along too late to get a sense of.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):