This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ballet movies????

Guest Hawaiiandancer

Guest Hawaiiandancer

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone had any fav Ballet movies...I can't find any that are about or based on ballet and I'm bummed so any help would be awesome =)

dance on!

Rose

Guest Hawaiiandancer

cool thz guys! Victoria: I have seen The turning pointe and I love it too! thx again you all!

Dance forever

Rose

Guest Just a Mom

One of my daughter's favorites was "DANCERS", the story is basically about an American ballet company filming Giselle in Italy, and the story line runs along the same lines as Giselle, -- it may be sappy, but it's fun, and teen-age girls seem to really enjoy it. Its hard to find now, but you could try AMAZON or someother search to find the video. The stars are Baryshnikov and a very young Julie Kent, many ABT dancers from that era are in it.

I have a couple of favorite dance movies......I like this one movie calle "Ballet Shoes," which is a book based on a book by Noel Streatfield. (Check out her books...they are fun.) It is about three English orphans who go to RAD and become famous. The other dance movie I like is "Riverdance, live from New York" That is really good.

I love ballet movies!

Amazon.com has this endless selection you can order. There are literally hundreds made by Kultur.

I have one of Don Q. with Baryshnikov and Cynthia Harvey that is just breathtaking. My favorite is "Backstage at the Kirov." (Sorry, Miss leigh smile.gif) It is filmed in Russia and the technique is amazing. It makes me sooooo jealous!

Unfortunately, I've searched my entire local Blockbuster for dance movies, and there isn't one about or containing ballet! Bummer!

-Casey smile.gif

Casey, what is wrong with the Kirov Ballet???? Certainly I do not have anything other than utmost respect for the wonderful Kirov Ballet, and I have a number of their videos too! I'm sorry that you got the impression that I don't like them, but it's most definitely a wrong impression! (I just wish I could see the company much more often, and not just the videos frown.gif ).

My most sincere apologies to everyone!

That was all a big misunderstanding, and I do know that Ms. Leigh has no objection at all to the Kirov. In fact, I and many of the people I know consider the dancing there pretty much the best you can get!

I feel so guilty frown.gif

Casey

Guest RozeToze

I must agree with Ms. Leigh on her suggestion on movies...the Red Shoes is and AWESOME choice! I remember the first time I watched it (I was about 12) and I got out a red marker and colored my brand new pointe shoes! (Don't worry Miss Leigh, I hadn't been on pointe long, our studio has the same feelings as you on the dangers of too-early pointe) Anyway, if you want to see a truly fantastic movie, rent "The Red Shoes" !

Whit smile.gif

Guest JazzyJen

Some really good movies are "An American in Paris" and Daddy Long Legs" both movies not only feature Ballet but also other types of dancing. And both star really famous actors such as Gene Kelly and Fred Astaire. They also have another thing in common, The leading lady in both movies is Leslie Caron a famous ballet dancer and an exeptional actress!

Guest Juliecute

There is this really good movie that was on HBO "Degas and his dancers". It has ballet dancing and its interesting to see who Degas used as models.

Plus, there is always Fame, which has some (not that much) dancing in it.

And the movie that i dont think anyone has mentioned, Center Stage!

I love the movie Ballet Shoes. I'm pretty lucky because my academic school's library has a copy (which I've borrowed many times). I also like the movie White Nights. The plot and atmospheric music are horrible but in one scene Baryshnikov turns 11 pirouettes!!! I'm not kidding! I watched it slide by slide. There was no cutting in the film, or merged scenes. I still rent that movie, just for that scene!

yeh i would have to say that although The red shoes is a really faboulous film and really works as afilm as well as a ballet film, i think that centre stage is really something speacial. Not only do i LOVE it but all my frweinds that dont know anything about ballet and would have considered it to be boring are in awe atfer seeing it ......they cant get over the sheer joyous energy portrayed in the film. Im talking about 16 year old boys and girls who are now all i live with ballet!! its quite amazing to see its almost developed a cult following amongst my non ballet friends!!

anyway sorry to ramble on just thought its an added acheivement when a ballet film captures the imagination of a bunch of teenagers who have never seen ballet in theri life!!