This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

If I could only see, I would believe...

Hilarion

I've been a season subscriber for a number of years, but every time that I have to renew, I almost don't. It's not because of BB at all - it's the sightlines in the Wang.

I spend a pretty penny each year for my orchestra seat, yet while I'm in it, I spend most of my time looking like a metronome. I lean my head to the right, then to the left, then back to the right, etc.

The man who sits in front of me also holds a season ticket. He is only 5'8" or 5'9", not extraordinarily tall for a man. I am 6'4". Yet his head looms in front of me like the planet Earth seen from low orbit - filling all of the sky.

Actually, it's not that bad. His head only occupies the central third of my view of the stage. It takes some time for me to get used to this, though, and it really, really annoys me (maybe you can tell).

What he does to me, unwittingly, I must also do to the people who sit behind me in part because I am indeed tall and also because when I lean back and forth to adjust my sightlines I rob them of theirs.

The only way I could achieve permanent satisfaction would be to buy out the man in front of me, so that seat would always be vacant whenever I attend. I can't afford to do that, so I have to ask myself every year if the aggravation is worth it.

And that's my rant about the Wang. Sorry - I just had to get it out of my system.

Reminds me of the off-price tickets that used to be available at the old Met in NYC. I found that many of the "obstructed view" seats (from the pillars on the upper tiers) were not bad at all as far as a view of the stage was concerned. If anything were obstructed, it was a view of the rest of the house, which led me to a conclusion about why the nineteenth-century audiences went to the opera!;) I could always rely upon where those posts were, but figuring out how to avoid the long-waisted galoots was impossible!