This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Moscow Ballet Nutcracker

Guest Gracefulbibi

Guest Gracefulbibi

Has anyone heard of this ballet performance is it any good? It is coming to my town and there is usually nothing of this sort for miles from where I live. Usually the ballet performances happen in Central Texas and I live at the tip of Texas. At least a days drive or two! So i was wondering if anyone saw it in 2000, did you have an opinion. The ticket start at nosebleed $18 and $130 in "gold circle" (which is the 1st five rows, i believe) and it gives you a chance to attend the after party with the cast? what do you guys think?

I assume you are speaking of the company known as "Moscow Classical Ballet". I saw their "Nutcracker" in Costa Mesa in 1997 and found it quite enjoyable and beautifully danced. If you are not ballet-saturated in your area, I'd definitely recommend going.

~Steve

[ 08-13-2001: Message edited by: Steve Keeley ]

In the interest of forum integrity and staying on-topic, I'm going to move this thread to Anything Goes, where it's more likely to receive more visibility and input. The ballet of present consideration on this forum (transferred from Ballets in detail) is Swan Lake.

[ 08-14-2001: Message edited by: Mel Johnson ]

It might also be the Moscow Ballet (of the Natalia Sats Theatre). They tour all over the U.S. in nutcracker season. The children in their productions are local ballet students who audition about 2 months ahead of time and are taught their parts by a member of the company. The audience is always filled with family members. I've always liked it because my daughter was in it and I knew so many of the kids. This is their web page, it has their complete schedule so you could see if it is the one coming to your city.

http://www.nutcracker.com/index.html

I also saw the Moscow Ballet when it came to town and had a relative in the production. Also, if memory serves correctly, was this the company that was stranded in Baltimore several years ago because their backers disappeared? I was incredibly impressed with the production. The local students and other participants blended into the ensemble so well that they seemed part of one familiar company that had been working together for years. I am thrilled to learn that they are coming back to Baltimore. After travelling to DC last year to see ABT's Nut, I'm looking forward to staying in town and seeing something more satisfying.

Hi everyone! It's been such a long time since I've been here!

Well, on the Moscow Ballet's production. The Moscow Ballet's Nut is a beautiful one. I would recomend it to anyone who likes to see splendid dancing, and the Nutcracker. The local performers are all instructed beautifuly, and the company regulars are extremely good! The sets and costumes are also very beautiful.

I must warn, however, that the Moscow Ballet's production is more of the Russian typicality. Hence, it is being billed as the "Great Russian Nutcracker." The part of Masha (You might know her as Marrie or Clara.) is played by a a corps soloist. There is no Sugar Plum Fairy, and there is much more dancing. For us ballet fanatics, that's a good thing. For people who shed away from ballet, it isn't quite their cup of tea. ;)

But, this is a wonderful production. Go see it. Tickets aren't expensive for this production. In most cases, it ranges from $18 to $38.

[ 08-19-2001: Message edited by: ~A.C~ ]