This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Swan Lake

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 beckster

beckster

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 November 2002 - 08:14 AM

I think maybe it could have been Lord Fitzwatchamacallim. He had a waxed raincoat thing which is obviously de rigeur among the eccentric upper classes. But what was he doing in the back of the amphitheatre where he couldn't see? He should have been in the royal box wearing wellies and tweed, distracting people's view away from Sylvie's Docs.

#17 anoushka

anoushka

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 December 2002 - 05:17 PM

Just got back from watching Zenaida's Swan Lake (the last of them) and it was unbelievable. She was so good, I was truely bowled over.
Jonathan Cope was injured so he was replaced by Inaki Urlezega, who was ok but wasn't my ideal Prince Siegfried. However considering it was a last minute replacement it was pretty good.

I can' t think very clearly at this time in the morning so I'll post more tomorrow when I have had time to reflect! xx

#18 Lolly

Lolly

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 19 December 2002 - 05:38 AM

I was at the last night too - it was wonderful, my favourite performance of the four (well, 3 1/2!) I saw. Zenaida was amazing. Her Odette was mesmerising, truly beautiful and her Odile was seductive and powerful. I had really enjoyed Darcey's performances, but after seeing both dancers, I much preferred Zenaida. She was so moving as Odette! Darcey was lovely, as she always is, but her Odile was stronger than her Odette. I can't remember much of Darcey's Odette, but there were breathtaking moments in Zenaida's. At one point (could have been the end of Act II) just before she bourreed offstage sideways, she stopped, absolutely still, with her arms in 2nd, it made me gasp! Isn't it strange how being so still can make such an impact? For those interested in fouettes, Zenaida remained glued to the spot throughout.:) And the end was sooooo lovely, as Odette and Siegfried lay in the golden carriage together... And a thank you to Zenaida too, I finally understood what my teacher means when she wants me to stretch into arabesques! (Yay!) Zenaida has such a luscious line, you can't help but learn from her.

Inaki Urlezaga was okay but not the Price Siegfried for me I'm afraid. He was a bit wet! He worked well with Zenaida though - it didn't look like a last minute partnership, considering he had been dancing with Miyako Yoshida who is probably half Zenaida's height!

I really enjoyed all the national dances, I think they are one of my favourite parts! Ricardo Cervera was so lively in the Neapolitan, my goodness he could cheer up the whole world with his big smile! And for anyone other Brian Maloney watchers out there, he was in the Act I waltz and polonaise!;)

The swan corps were beautiful, so fluid in the spiralling circling parts. I love the part where they all move downstage adding lines at the back so they form a triangular pattern led by one dancer at the front - they look so fierce and formidable!

And so ends this run of Swan Lakes! I wish I had seen more of them, but I must say I think Zenaida was perfect, I couldn't wish for a better swan! Ivan was my favourite Siegfried - shame they couldn't dance together but I can't imagine that, somehow.:D I wish I had seen Tom Whitehead again as Benno, he really brought something to the small role. Now I just need to find out what casts they will be using in Russia...;)

#19 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 956 posts

Posted 19 December 2002 - 09:56 AM

I can't agree with you about Urlezaga, Lolly - though of course I saw a different performance (the first one he did with Yoshida). He's very different from the RB's other Siegfrieds, but to my eyes he's going back to an older performance tradition which is less 'naturalistic' than we usually see in this production. My husband remarked that he reminded him of the way Donald Macleary did the role, and as we saw Macleary in the audience that evening I wonder if he has been coaching Urlezaga. Urlezaga's dancing looked a bit tentative (except for the bit in Act 1 which I thought was beatiful), but he's been off for a long time and maybe just needs some more performances to get back his real form.

When I saw Yanowsky (with Jonathan Cope) I thought that she, like Urlezaga, looked as if she was in a different ballet from everyone else (thought not the same different one as him, if you see what I mean - they must have looked rather odd together.) She's so strong - I thought she was holding back dramatically in Act 2, and if she really let go I felt she might bring the whole ridiculous production crashing down around her. I liked her very stern interpretation in Act 4 - when Siegfried arrives there was none of the "Never mind dear, I forgive you" that you often see - she knew he'd ruined everything and that there was no way out but death.

#20 Lolly

Lolly

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 19 December 2002 - 12:04 PM

I know what you mean about Zenaida, Jane. Watching her you get the feeling the stage is too small, she is incredibly powerful and floods her dancing with emotion. I remember Donald Macleary talking on TV some time ago about the difficulty of finding suitable partners for Darcey, because they needed to be tall AND "up to her level". I think that is a problem with Zenaida and Inaki - she is just bursting with everything and is so in control that he didn't get a look in, which is why he came across as wet and a bit nothing - he just couldn't compare.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):