This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Angel Corella Awarded Spain's National Dance Award

ANGEL CORELLA AWARDED SPAIN'S NATIONAL DANCE AWARD

Angel Corella, a Principal Dancer with American Ballet Theatre, was awarded the National Dance Award in Spain by the National Institute of Scenic Arts and Music on November 4, 2002.

The National Dance Award in Spain is given annually to dancers of

the highest quality. This year the jury awarded the prize to dancer and choreographer Maria Pages, and to Mr. Corella in the interpretive category. In bestowing the award, the jury regarded Mr. Corella as an "exceptional dancer and a representative of a generation that exalts Spanish dance in the most prestigious companies in the world."

Angel Corella was born in Madrid in 1975. He began his ballet

studies in Colmenar Viejo, and later studied in Madrid with Victor Ullate and Karemia Moreno. In May 1991, Mr. Corella won First Prize in the National Ballet Competition of Spain. In December 1994, he won the Grand Prix and Gold Medal at the Concours International de Danse de Paris, dancing the pas de deux from Don Quixote and Le Corsaire.

Mr. Corella joined American Ballet Theatre as a Soloist in April

1995 and was promoted to Principal Dancer in August 1996. He has appeared as a guest artist with companies around the world and is currently a guest artist with The Royal Ballet.

Subscriptions for American Ballet Theatre's 2003 Metropolitan Opera House season are on sale now by phone at 212-362-6000 and by mail. For more information, visit ABT's website at www.abt.org.

That's wonderful news about Angel's recent award. He is an exceptional dancer. The first time I set eyes on him was at an ABT rehearsal of La Bayadere, where he was reheasing the Bronze Idol. I have followed his career ever since. He never fails to put a smile on my face and take my breath away!