This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Drigos "Awakening of Flora" question

I love the big, Tchaikovsky waltzes: Flowers, Garland, Snowflakes, and Swan Lake's Waltzes for Act I and the Act II Swans. Even Lilac's variation! Oh, and the Vision Scene adagio from Beauty.

I also love Prokofiev's R&J.

The first strains of Petrouchka in its recent renderings at ABT put a big smile on my face. :sweatingbullets: Great score!

Raymonda! Heaven!

And while Chris Wheeldon couldn't make much of it (and I frankly doubt that anyone could), despite the fact that it was written as a ballet, An American in Paris is terrific.

I used to love dancing to Minkus in class -- the rhythms are so vivid -- but he would not be represented on my list of favorite listening.

Then there's a whole bunch of music that was not written for dance but which choreographers found irresistible. I'm thinking here of all the Mendelsohn Balanchine used in Midsummer Night's Dream. In fact, at the moment, I'm hearing (in my head) the pdd from Act II.

If I were stranded on a desert island I'd have to have -

TCHAIKOVSKY: Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, Nutcracker, Suite No. 3 (Theme & Variations), Symphonies Nos. 3 (Diamonds) 5 & 6 (5 & 6 - just because), & Serenade for Strings

PROKOFIEV: R & J, Cinderella & from Ivan the Terrible (Anastasia's first monologue from Act 1)

GLAZUNOV: Raymonda

CHOPIN: Les Sylphides (Glazunov arr.) & A MONTH IN THE COUNTRY

(Lanchberry arr.)

STRAVINSKY: Firebird, Cappricio For Piano & Orchestra (Rubies) & Rite of Spring

DELIBES: Coppelia

MASSENET: The pdds from MANON and her Act 2 ballroom solo.

MINKUS: La Bayadere & Paquita

Tchaikovsky, of course, especially Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, and Nutcracker.

Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet. Classical Symphony.

Delibes, Coppelia.

Music given great life by Balanchine's choreography: :sweatingbullets:

Stravinsky Violin Concerto -- Balanchine. Uncanny, perfect marriage of steps and music. Don't know what I'd think of it without the choreography.

Verdi's ballet music from Don Carlo, in Ballo della Regina.

Barber Violin Concerto (whoops, that's Martins -- but Martins doing Balanchine).

Bach, in choreography, usually doesn't work for me -- usually too literally translaatead into steps.

Oh yeah I LOVE Serenade for Strings (Balanchine's "Serenade")! I have played it in a string orchestra on many occasions. I can't say I'm all attracted to Stravinsky's music though. His most attractive score was Petrouchka. I can't say much for The Rite or Firebird. Firebird is interesting... but nothing compared to Tchaikovsky or Minkus.

It's interesting that no one has said Giselle. I don't really find Adam's music great but another favourite of mine is Le Corsaire (especially the Odalisque Pas de Trois, the Gulnare Pas de Deux and the Pas de Fleurs [Jardin Anime]).

Tchaikovsky's Waltz of the Snowflakes from the Nutcracker is definately also a favourite. I also can't say I'm a great Prokofiev fan though I have only heard Romeo and Juliet suites and the Dance of the Knights so I can't really give an opinion on his work.

Thanks for your posts guys! Interesting!

Delibes' "Sylvia" and Glazunov's "Raymonda." And I do have an emotional attachment to the tarantella from "Napoli" and the death scene from "La Sylphiide" :)

I was just playing the CD of "Le Corsaire" this week, MinkusPugni, and I loved the coda of Jardin Anime and the "The Pirates are coming!" parts :)

Add two scores that often flow through my mind and make me visualize the dancing.

Adagio from Spartacus brings instant moving pictures of the pas de deux.

Short Balanchine version of Firebird. (I first heard this with Melissa Hayden as Firebird at City Center, got a recording, and was totally hooked.)

1. Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet

2. Giselle

3. Bizet's Carmen (especially the intermezzo- or PDD)

some parts of Afternoon of the Faun, and I love Gershwin's Who Cares? :)

And Swan Lake, and Raymonda..

carbro- I now love the music from Petrouchka as well!

and the pas de deux from the 2nd act of Corsaire (Conrad and Medora-bedroom), which I STILL don't know details about! :):)

Delibes' "Sylvia" and Glazunov's "Raymonda."  And I do have an emotional attachment to the tarantella from "Napoli" and the death scene from "La Sylphiide" :speechless-smiley-003:

I was just playing the CD of "Le Corsaire" this week, MinkusPugni, and I loved the coda of Jardin Anime and the "The Pirates are coming!" parts :wub:

Yeah the Corsaire music is really great! Especially the whole of the Jardin Anime! Where did you get that CD and who's the conductor and company etc?

how many dancers do you have? what are their strengths? what resources do you have for costumes/lighting? Can you afford silent pointe shoes?

Max is 17 (i am using the max) only four solos so I'll fit their strengths into their solos but it's not really how they perform its the choreography. Costumes for the Snowflakes are going to be white classical tutus and the costumes for the Ice Fairies are going to be white romantic tutus. The Snow Queen will also have a white classical tutu. But what do you think about the music?

Does anyone know any way that I can get my hands on a clean version of "Le Conservatoire" by Holger Simon Paulli? When I say clean I mean no audience, just the music. I don't even mind if someone has the MP3 files they would like to give me over MSN or something, but I desperately need the Conservatoire music. I need the Pas de Trois (with all variations), Ashley's solo, the Adage, the Barre and the girls' jumps mainly. But I would like the whole thing on CD. Any suggestions?

Sounds like an interesting and ambitious competition, and I hope you'll report on how it develops.

I can "hear" only some of the musical selections -- the more familiar pieces. All, however, certainly seem to have an established track record of serving choreography well in the past. (Which part of Faust?)

Edited by bart
Sounds like an interesting and ambitious competition, and I hope you'll report on how it develops.

I can "hear" only some of the musical selections -- the more familiar pieces.  All, however, certainly seem to have an established track record of serving choreography well in the past.  (Which part of Faust?)

The incidental "ballet music" of Faust. The little interludes. The Faust Ballet Finale is a very famous piece and it most likely that you would have heard it. You probably would have heard Helene's variation aswell. Unfortunately, I cannot link you to an uploads page so I can't give you the pieces but if you hunt around, you should be able to find the midis.

I am thinking about removing Aurora's variation from the music as it is very hard to dance to. I am thinking, now, about putting in the winter fairy variation from Cinderella (thanks Helene).