This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

William Marrie

NBoC principal dancer William Marrie took a leave of absence a few months ago to work with Twyla Tharp (I'm assuming he was dancing in 'Movin' Out'). James Kudelka informed the audience at last night's performance of the Firebird that Mr.Marrie was involved in a serious motorcycling accident friday night in NYC, and passed away yesterday morning. Everyone was shocked and saddened by this loss. James dedicated yesterday evenings performance to William Marrie, and I know he will always be remembered and missed.

William Marrie was wonderful in the Tharp. I saw him dance the principal male role (he did this John Selya role at matinees and as his understudy) in a studio showing, and he was such a strong, vivid dancer, so completely invested in the material. I couldn't wait to see him in the theater! His role is the show when he wasn't dancing as a principal was a ferocious, persuasive cameo. He could really hold a stage. All sympathies to his family, and his dance families--the National Ballet of Canada, and Movin' Out.

The last role I saw him in was Mercutio in NBoC's Romeo and Juliet last season. Even though I saw him many times, I think I'll always remember him by that role. He triumphed in it, his acting and dancing that evening could surely be compared to some of the great dancers of our time. He also looked like he had tons of fun on stage.

All the symphaties to his family from me as well, I'll also always remember his talent and great charisma.