This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ann Barzel, A Birthday Celebration and Dance Tribute

Ann Barzel, beloved dance historian and critic was honored this evening in celebration of her 97th birthday. Beginning with a tribute from Lois Weisberg, Commissioner , City of Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and finishing with a Birthday Toast on stage, the evening was filled with spectacular choreography (Ohad Naharin and Gerald Arpino to name two choreographers), dancing (Hubbard Street Dance Chicago, Gus Giordano Jazz Dance Chicago, The Joffrey Ballet of Chicago to name three of the companies), and wonderful filmed tributes (Edward Villella, Violette Verdy - who was also in attendance, Arthur Mitchell, and Alicia Alonzo to name a few).

The performance was given at the Athenaeum Theatre and also featured Chicago dance companies: River North Chicago Dance Company and Trinity Irish Dance. Other choreographers were Randy Duncan, Frank Chaves, Sherry Zunker. Sean Curran and Harrison McEldowney who choreographed a special tribute to Ann Barzel.

Ann Barzel is famous for sneaking her moving picture camera in to many of the greatest performances given in Chicago and other parts of the world for many years, before dance was being filmed.

Proceeds earned from the Ann Barzel Birthday Celebration and Dance Tribute will support conservation and accessibilitly to the vast collection of books and film that Ann Barzel has donated to The Chicago Dance Collection At The Newberry Library.

Sounds like a great evening -- wish I could have been there. It's great that the Chicago dance world knows how to value and honor such a great lover of the dance as Ann Barzel, to whom we ALL owe so much --

Thanks Glebb, for posting the news, and for going into detail, so we could get a sense of hte event.... Violette Verdy came, it must have been a wonderful evening...

Somewhere I've seen a video of Gaites Parisiennes, with Danilova and Frankin, that was pieced together from footage shot by Ms Barzel with her "concealed' camera -- most of the dancers look like Looney TUne figures, especially their shoes -- (which maybe means that Looney-Tune cartoonists were close observers of the artists they burlesqued). I would never have guessed what the qualiuty of hte phrasing was in real Massine dancing if I hadn't seen that video....