Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dirac

Review of all-Balanchine program

7 posts in this topic

Thanks for this, dirac. Wish I'd been there to see Villella's gangster in Slaughter. I'm also curious about those "fey 1960s poses" in Bugaku.

I kinda wondered about "fey" myself. I understand about space limitations, but on occasion it would be nice to have some of the adjectives you see in daily reviews elaborated upon. :cool:

I hope that "otherworldly" or even "enchanted" was intended as the meaning for "fey". I don't see what is particularly "doomed" about the pas de deux unless you see Japanese marriage as a pretty bleak institution. I also don't think that "campy" was intended, either. At least, I hope not.

Thanks, BalletFlaMom, the link worked. That is one strange review! How the end of "Slaughter on Tenth Avenue" could deflate like a souffle is beyond me. Despite her enthusiastic opening, the reviewer seems only to have liked "Bugaku." Weird.

Thanks for the link! Farrell Fan, I think the reviewer intended to say that while was pleased to see these ballets, she wasn't completely happy with the performances.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0