This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Bournonville Ballet Shoes

I was reading a book about ballet dancers and their pointe/ballet shoes, and I saw something that sparked my curiosity. There was an interview with a dancer from the Royal Danish Ballet, with a picture of his ballet shoes, which were black with a white triangle on the top/middle of the shoe. This dancer (sorry don't remember his name) said that these two-colored ballet shoes were the ones used by male dancers in ALL of Bournonville's ballets. They were unlike anything I have ever seen, and I haven't seen them ever, even in pictures of dancers from the Royal Danish Ballet. I am just curious to know more about them, and why/how they came to be. Does anyone know anything about these?

I think they were used in the 19th century generally. Today in Denmark (or, five years ago in Denmark) the dancers would just say "they are part of the costume," but they're really part of the 19th century ballet aesthetic. In the Romantic era, men wore white stockings to just below the knee--as the men in Napoli Act III still dress--and the white in the shoe carried through the white of the stocking, emphasizing the line of the foot. The Danes wore them in other ballets as well. I've seen photos of it in "Dream Pictures," for example, but it's in every extant Bouornonville ballet except "La Sylphide" (where the men wear kilts).

I like them. I was really excited just before the recent SAB performance of Napoli excerpts.....but then learned that, alas, they weren't going to wear "the shoes." :(

I like lower front-vamp slippers--at one time Sansha made two styles of canvas slippers...I jumped through many hoops getting them as I thought they made the foot look much better.