This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

dance tech./instructional vids are not my area of interest, but i trust there are educators on this site who could be of more specific help.

kultur markets a video dictionary of classical ballet which explicates and demonstrates positions, poses, and steps in a somewhat methodical presentation.

there is at least on CD-rom that i believe aims in a similar direction.

otherwise there are barre/exercise cassettes around.

to answer better what you are asking here one might learn whether your curiosity is that of an observer, i.e. an individual who would like to better identify/recognize ballet steps, or that of someone hoping to hone his interest in practicing ballet personally.

i think it's agreed near and far that one cannot learn to dance from a tape, but i suppose there are some tapes that can act as helpful supplements.

if your interest is in any way historical, there is a tape put out by princeton books(?) that shows demonstrations of steps and combinations from the notebooks of august bournonville.

maybe you'd also like to post your query under a topic that dwells on teachers and teaching methods.

I have two videos which I have found educational and helpful, I found them at Amazon, they are the Balanchine Essays, one is arabesque and one is port de bras and epqulement. Personally, I found the arabesque more helpful. However, please keep in mind these videos teach the Balanchine method, which is not what all classes teach. Although, even though it was the Balanchine method, and my teacher is Russian, I sitll found these videos helpful. Hope this helps. One other thing, if you're simply looking for a ballet video for a workout, check out the New York Ballet workout video. It is great for simply exercising.

Balanchine is less of a method unto itself, and more a choreographic style, some of which has worked its way into the syllabi at the School of American Ballet, but Balanchine uses the same lexicon that most of the world uses, and for arabesques and epaulement and port de bras, there's not an earth-shaking difference between what's shown on the video, and what's done by many of the schools worldwide. Watch and enjoy. If you want to "fly before buy" (sorry, I'm ex-Air Force), try your local library, and if they don't have copies, use Interlibrary loan!:)