This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

State Theater Dilemna

With the potential, although now looking to be on hold, renovation of Lincoln Center there seems to be a potential that NYCB may end up with the State Theater all to themselves, if City Opera leaves. Instead of having only 23 weeeks to fill NYCB might potentially have to figure out what to do with the half of the year?

If you were in charge

What would like to see happen

What do you think will happen

I'd see any ballet company they could bring in!

What I'd like to see happen is for ABT to share the theater with NYCB. I love seeing ABT during their City Center season in the fall, but hate going to see them at the Met. I think the State Theater is ideal for dance and if ABT peformed during the months now devoted to opera, it would be ideal for them and benefit NYCB as well. Dance Theatre of Harlem should perform there too.

What I think will happen is that NYC Opera will stay. Even though she favors a new theater for the opera, Beverly Sills is right when she says that when she was singing at the State Theater with Placido Domingo and Norman Treigle, nobody complained about the acoustics.