This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

"Giselle" Video of the Kirov Question

In the "Giselle" tape of the Kirov Ballet (starring Galina Mezentseva, Konstantin Zaklinsky, and Tatiana terekhova) the female variaiton from the peastant pas de deux is substituted for another variation...I was wondering where this variation comes from......

this variation is more or less standard soviet fare these days, so far as the duet has been performed in nyc over the past 30-odd years. ABT now has it in its current staging too, if mem. serves, or in the one just previous to this, perhaps due to some of kolpakova's input. the music is not to the best of my knowledge identifed. it is definitely not the usual burgmuller variation. maybe pugni? drigo? maybe someone here knows for sure. it's this version that is probably given on all the tapes of soviet GISELLE videos currently extant. alas the film of ulanova's GISELLE opposite nikolai fadeyechev omits this peasant pas, tho' according to a brochure of that film when it was first released, the duet was there and filmed (w/ bolomolova and i forget whom), but somehow it got cut soon thereafter. so unless an uncut print of that surfaces we'll not know what version of the pas was given by the bolshoi in the 1950s.