#46 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 15 August 2001 - 03:59 AM

Originally posted by Mel Johnson:
And I don't think Taylor used 4'33", I think he just stood there in silence for about five minutes.  (Didn't Anatole Chujoy devote three whole column inches of blank space in Dance News to a review of this piece?)

I'm not sure, but I think it was mentioned in De Mille's biography of Martha Graham (but I think the blank review was by Louis Horst).

#47 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 15 August 2001 - 06:43 AM

By Jove, Estelle, you're right! Thanks for the memory jog! :D Chujoy and P.W.(Bill) Manchester were the editors of the late, lamented journal, but Horst wrote a lot of the modern and pre-classic reviews.

#48 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,725 posts

Posted 15 August 2001 - 11:31 AM

a little OT, but i can't help thinking of alexander woolcott's review of a play called "Wham!" which read in its entirety: "Ouch!"

#49 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 17 August 2001 - 01:23 AM

Peter and I finished the solo to Koto music today, but as we began rehearsal I looked at him and said, "I have a vision."

"What's that?"

"Mariachi band!"

Why not, I ask. If we can do a dance to classical Japanese Koto music, how about a nice mariachi band, preferably playing classical Japanese Koto music.

#50 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 17 August 2001 - 07:08 AM

There we go! Fusion! Great Lousy Idea! :D

#51 Guest_justDANCE_*

Guest_justDANCE_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 19 August 2001 - 06:24 PM

How about a political ballet? They could go through each and every law and "happenings" at the white house....congress, etc. Wouldn't that be one of the longest ballet's??? I guess to some, it might be interesting....but who would compose the music?

Or how about this, "The Arctic:A Freeze Frame Ballet in 1 Act". Where all the dancers wore blue, and simply stood there. Again, who would compose the music?

Here's one: The Life Cycles of a Bug. Going through each of the stages of a bug, and the life of a bug. Wait...didn't Gelsey Kirkland do something like that???

#52 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 19 August 2001 - 07:57 PM

Emily, the bug thing is old, old as the hills. Not only did Balanchine do one on that theme in the early 1950s, but Marie Taglioni (!) had a ballet called "The Butterfly" which featured creature transformations. Of course, this was a magic butterfly, in Persia, but there still were "metamorphoses".

#53 BalletNut

BalletNut

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 19 August 2001 - 10:18 PM

Well as long as we're talking about politics, how about The Lewinsky Scandal?

Maybe also one about the Hapsburgs and the fall of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, with a focus on the demise of the Crown Prince Rudolf? ;) :D

#54 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 19 August 2001 - 10:26 PM

Well, it's been done! Both of 'em.(see the original post of this thread et seq.)

#55 BalletNut

BalletNut

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 19 August 2001 - 10:32 PM

Mel, it was seeing Mayerling that made me decide that political ballets don't really work! Not one of Macmillan's prouder achievements, IMO. But who did The Lewinsky Scandal?

#56 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 19 August 2001 - 10:39 PM

Small company in upstate NY. They did a rather chaste version of the story. The names are withheld to protect the innocent.

#57 Steve Keeley

Steve Keeley

• PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 August 2001 - 12:09 AM

Originally posted by BalletNut:
But who did The Lewinsky Scandal?

Mark Dendy also did a version of "Swan Lake" for a company in Germany that was set in the White House and, in the Siegfried role, featured a philandering president.

~Steve

#58 KayDenmark

KayDenmark

• PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 22 August 2001 - 08:59 AM

How about a ballet based on "I Love Lucy"?

There could be a memorable adagio based on the famous "chocolates off the conveyer belt" scene.

Of course, there would be quite a rivalry among male dancers to play the coveted role of Ricky Ricardo...character dancers could audition for the part of Fred Mertz.

Up next: A ballet based on "Three's Company"....

#59 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 22 August 2001 - 05:00 PM

And let's not forget "Vitameatavegamin"!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):