58 replies to this topic

#16 Manhattnik

Manhattnik

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 07 August 2001 - 10:06 AM

Of course the guys would be wearing some towels, and snapping others at each other. Heck, if Spartacus could leap around with a sword in each hand, why not let Billy-Joe Solor do the same with snapping towels?

I can see him manfully vanquishing his teammates in this mock combat with a series of barrel turns while gymnastically snapping towels in each hand.

I think it has potential.

#17 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 07 August 2001 - 10:07 AM

Winterreise - too late, Mary: Robert North did a piece called A Stranger I Came for ENB a few years ago, which used a mixture of Schubert songs including the last one from Winterreise. I did not enjoy it.

#18 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 07 August 2001 - 10:14 AM

And in the grand tradition of the Super Bowl, we can have a number to "Up with People" Who is after Nikki? The head coach? Instead of the dance of the priests, he could do a pas de quatre with his assistant coaches.

For a bad new ballet, I nominate the "Susan Smith Story" Ben Stevenson can do it in the style of Anastasia by McMillian but he'll collaborate with David Parsons, who will do a "dance of the dead children" -- like the one he did for Pied Piper. It would be a great role for a top dramatic ballerina. Music by John Adams.

[ 08-07-2001: Message edited by: Dale ]

[ 08-07-2001: Message edited by: Dale ]

#19 Manhattnik

Manhattnik

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 07 August 2001 - 11:19 AM

More Texas Bayaderisms:

Dead Tiger on a Stick ---> Superbowl Game Ball.

Golden Idol ---> Dancing Vince Lombardi Trophy

American Indian Tom-Tom Dance ---> American Indian Tom-Tom Dance

Gal with Pitcher on Head ---> Gal with Kitchen Sink on Head.

#20 Manhattnik

Manhattnik

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 07 August 2001 - 11:35 AM

Would anyone care to cast On the Road -- the Ballet?

#21 Alla

Alla

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 August 2001 - 01:10 PM

With Ethan Stiefel as the Neal Cassady character, perhaps? The motorcycle could make a cameo appearance....

[ 08-07-2001: Message edited by: Alla ]

#22 Jacqueline

Jacqueline

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 August 2001 - 01:44 PM

Hey, I'm from Texas so I'd like to contribute. Instead of parrots, how about giant margaritas (perhaps the Bush twins could be cast in this scene!)

#23 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 07 August 2001 - 06:50 PM

In keeping with the current climate:

Temple Dancers -------> Lap Dancers

Let's make Nikki really work for her piastres!

#24 Kathleen O'Connell

Kathleen O'Connell

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 08 August 2001 - 08:07 AM

You know, I think Mark Morris could actually make Texas Bayadere work ... No, really, I'm being serious! Now there's a choreographer who could mutate the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders into the Kingdom of the Shades. I would make the trek to BAM and pay good money to see it! But would Morris -- such a moving Dido -- make a better Gamzatti or Nikiya?

Let me hasten to add that I am a huge Morris fan and have thought on more than one occaision that he's George Balanchine's true heir, but that's for another thread.

#25 Nanatchka

Nanatchka

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 08 August 2001 - 08:43 AM

As long as we are casting out of Texas, I think the Kilgore Rangerettes (a drill team) really should do the Kingdom of the Shades.And there should be a debutante in full debutante kit somewhere in there, too. Also there should be a mariachi band. I have been thinking about Texas this week--if it is this hot here in New York City, why not be in Austin? They do hot sooooo much better. Oh, let's not forget Anne Richards. She would be an excellent something. Shrub and the Oil Bidness guys we can save for the Nutcracker...

#26 Allegro

Allegro

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 August 2001 - 01:16 PM

How about a series of ballets based on a Major Network's sitcoms? ABC danced by ABT or something like that. (There is ABT season planned out right there!)
I can just see it: Regis Philbin energetically danced by some major danseur, and instead of his "Final Answer", he could do variations on a set of steps. And the person in the Hot Seat could be a beautiful ballerina, who could then dance a PDD with Regis. And the corps--- all those who do the fastest fingers competition. Except for fastest fingers, they could do a fastest feet one. I think there would also be room for dramatic interludes, maybe a spotlight coming up on the ballerina's family members, perhaps even a husband, who at the end could viciously fight Regis over the ballerina. And stunning pyrotechnics and theatre tricks could be incorporated. Who has even included an 'Ask the AUdience' in a ballet? Or a Phone a Friend?

#27 ScottieGDE13

ScottieGDE13

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 August 2001 - 03:33 PM

Oh Allegro- sadly, you've sparked my interest! How about a "Friends" ballet? It could start out with the theme song and the whole corps would clap with the music. There would be many romantic pas de deuxs with Ross and Rachel and following every romantic one a pas de deux where it is very clear that Ross is screaming "WE WERE ON A BREAK!" Joey and Chandler would have several male pas de deuxs to illustrate their misfit friendship.

And then when (like television) ballet cannot successfully imitate sitcoms any longer... we can introduce "Reality Ballet." I can see it now... "Survivor: the ballet!" You can fill in the blanks as you want.
Scottie

#28 piccolo

piccolo

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 August 2001 - 06:51 PM

What about a ballet about the frustration we feel when we get telemarketing calls from credit card companies during dinner?

:D

Or maybe a ballet entitled "Waiting for the Cable Guy"...

#29 felursus

felursus

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 09 August 2001 - 10:50 PM

"Survivor, the Ballet" has piqued my interest. The audience could write in the challenges: 32 double fouettes in shoes that don't belong to the dancer and have no ribbons or elastic (I'll allow the drawstring to be intact), etc. There could also be emotional challenges involving non-renewal of contracts, loss of roles, being forced to do a role for which the dancer is under rehearsed - with an important critic in the audience, of course, etc. :D

#30 ScottieGDE13

ScottieGDE13

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 10 August 2001 - 08:08 AM

felursus-
your challenges sound more like "Fear Factor: the Ballet" to me...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):