This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I've never had this happen at dance that I recall, but at home the thing I use to get rid of them INSTANTLY is a teaspon of peanut butter. Try it, maybe will work for you (although carrying a jar along in your dancebag might be a bit much, lol).

Having worked in theater and opera where hiccups can be even more detrimental I learned a whole repertoire of hicupp remedies. But I only witnessed it happen once. He suffered throught the scene and then drank a glass of water upside down once he got off the stage.

One of the classics is a teaspoon of sugar on the very back of the tongue. Actually, almost all hiccup cures have something to do with trying to get the sufferer to burp, be it ever so slightly. The problem seems to be caused by an overabundance of carbon dioxide in the glottal area. A burp clears it.

With this in mind, I once essayed to get rid of especially bad hiccups by chug-a-lugging a bottle of seltzer. After a particularly Wagnerian belch, I was fine.