This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Louisville Ballet and KY ballet theatre in Lexington,KY

Guest dancerwannabe

Guest dancerwannabe

I went to the ballet twice this past weekend, for the first time in many years. I saw the Louisville Ballet doing Coppelia on Friday night and KY ballet theatre in Lexington doing Dracula. Both were very good and I'm very happy to have seen them both. The male dancers in KY ballet theatre were very strong...stronger even than the Louisville Ballet it seemed. Or rather maybe they took advantage of Dancer strengths a bit better. Anyway, I was really impressed with the quality of the show in Lexington. I look forward to their next shows.

Thanks for reporting in dancerwannabe!

Although I danced in Kentucky (with Lexington Ballet, back in the prehistoric era before Kentucky Ballet Theatre split off) we don't get many reports from Kentucky. Did you save your programs, can you tell us who danced? I know that Louisville and KBT share one family's dancers (Mikelle Bruzina is in Louisville, Kara in KBT)

I also noted on KBT's website that David Goud is guesting with them (he used to be a principal with Louisville) - did he dance in Dracula?

And for those of you seeing other company's we don't usually get to hear about, report in!

Guest dancerwannabe

Wow! Small world! Yes I saved both programs actually. I take ballet at KBT and Kara is actually one of my teachers. She danced the parts of Lucy and one of Dracula's wives. I had not seen her dance before and I have to say she was really fantastic. You couldn't take your eyes off of her for one minute. She is just so expressive and lyrical. I can't explain it. Although I am sure there are technically stronger dancers, there is something about how she dances that just makes you watch her the whole time. Other people who'd seen her before said that her dancing has really matured. I saw Mikelle in Coppelia, she danced the dawn section and she was Swanhilda's friend in other scenes. She had injured herself the day before in practice (I think sprained her ankle or something) but danced anyway. I couldn't tell that she was hurt. She was very good.

David Goud played Dracula. He was wonderful. I was actually really impressed with the strength and talent of the male dancers in Lexington. They have a small company but what they don't have in quantity, they more than make up for with Quality. Ariel was wonderful as well. He also has a v. strong presence on the stage. Rafeala was Elizabeta. She is so strong technically. All of them were just wonderful to watch. They make it look so easy.