This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

End of the road for Yagudin?

dirac

I watched the ABC coverage and mentally applauded the classy (and, if you will, professional) way Yagudin took his farewell bow after withdrawing. And, although Brian Joubert has caught my attention, my figure-skating interests are a lot spottier than my ballet interests and, for my taste, men's figure skating has temporarily become a lot less compelling...

One question that lingers for me is whether (as some of the quotes in the Post suggested) only certain body types are subject to these kinds of long-term hip injuries from skating or if the sport really is pushing the limit on what MOST bodies can handle without developing serious degenerative problems.

Sigh. He's a class act. He was never my favorite skater, but I'll miss him.

I don't think we just don't have enough solid data to make a judgment, and as far as I know no systematic study of the matter has been undertaken. I wouldn't jump to conclusions, no pun intended. The article mentions Lipinski's problems, but I recall reading that Lipinski may have overtrained in spite of cautions from her coach(es).

One factor that occurs to me is the increased workload that skaters face today. When I first started watching skating, there were relatively few events on the calendar, and the amount of exhibition skating that Olympic division skaters could do was carefully limited. Yagudin mentions the city by city slog that Champions on Ice has turned into.

I'm not too happy with the skating of either sex right now, grumble grumble. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that nothing will happen to Plushenko. :)

Originally posted by dirac

Sigh.  He's a class act.  He was never my favorite skater, but I'll miss him.

I'm not too happy with the skating of either sex right now, grumble grumble.  I'm just keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that nothing will happen to Plushenko.   :)

I feel the same way.