This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Walpurgisnacht Ballet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 01:32 PM

Does anyone know where I can find a copy of Grigorovich's Walpurgisnacht? (At least I think he choreographed it...anyway, not the Balanchine one.)

#2 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 02:07 PM

on p. 585 of the videography in my book, BALLET 101, i've got 2 commerciallyavailable tapes listed of the Walpurgis Night i assume you're looking for. the choreography is Leonid Lavrovsky's and was a staple over the years in the repertory of the Bolshoi Ballet.
one performance, from 1956 is on THE BOLSHO BALLET, a tape with a number of bolshoi ballets, including ulanova's GISELLE. this perf. is led by raissa struchkova and alexander lapauri.
another, called FAUST: WALPURGIS NIGHT can be found on RUSSIAN BALLET: THE GLORIOUS TRADITION, VOL. 2, it's led by ekaterina maximova and stanislav vlasov, it was filmed in 1978 and released on video in 1992.
hope this helps.

#3 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 28 October 2002 - 06:41 PM

Yes, that's it! I couldn't remember whether it was Grigorovich or Lavrovsky. Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):