This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Kirov's London season - a box office disappointment?

My friend just came back from a 6-month assignment in London. She was surprised by the ease of getting Kirov Ballet tickets and even more so when she saw rows upon rows of empty seats inside the auditorium. The 2 perfs that she saw were "Sleeping Beauty" & "Jewel." Given the financial contraints Kirov is facing, I am disappointed to hear what she told me. Was the situation typical for most of the perfs during their London season? Anyone know why Kirov did so poorly box office wise?

I was present for most of the 4-week season. I think that those two performances that your friend attended must have been in the first week of the season. In the second week, the Manon wasn't sold out either, but Le Corsaire in the weekend was completely sold out. The third and fourth weeks, especially Swan Lake and the Balanchine programme which were sold out, were nearly full.

There were some empty seats at most of the seven performances I attended - Le Corsaire was the exception.The 16 June matinee of Jewels had row upon row of empty seats in every part of the house. I sold my ticket for Manon and went to see Rambert instead so I don't know about that - but I was told the house was far from full. And I didn't buy seats for either Swan Lake on the Fokine programme.

I think the reasons were the very high prices - £62 to sit in the second or third row of the balcony, and a largely familiar repertory. I suspect Corsaire sold well because it hadn't been seen in London for many years.