The art of discovery or how you found yourself here.

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#61 Pamela Moberg

Pamela Moberg

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 01:36 PM

Believe me, Alexandra, you are the best!
I have struggled throu those other boards but I rarely give them a second look.
You know very well that I visit your board seven times a week..

#62 Cristina

Cristina

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 06:33 PM

I was actually referred by a friend. I am so glad to have found this place. My daughter and I were just commenting that threads so often seem to address the very things with which we are struggling. I enjoy all the things people have to contribute.

:)

#63 thumpinhippo

thumpinhippo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 April 2003 - 12:19 AM

As for me... well i just got here by hopping from link to link of one ballet related site to another. Pretty much something to fill in time before ballet classes resumed and we went into exam fever!

#64 Guest_Dancergal92_*

Guest_Dancergal92_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 03 May 2003 - 02:25 PM

I was searching on Google for ballet ( I think) and this site came up! :(

#65 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 30 May 2003 - 06:17 PM

Many thanks to all who've posted the "how" of how they got here... It's always quite something to learn of the various threads that bring us all to this place.

Here's to the inventor(s) of the Internet! I believe this has to be a posthumous "toast" but neverthelss it's a wonderful tool that still has much to be discovered... Let's just hope the government doesn't want to regulate it! ;)

#66 Guest_Justine Coulon_*

Guest_Justine Coulon_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 31 May 2003 - 07:41 AM

I did a goggle search and "voila" I found this wonderful site! I enjoy coming here and reading everyone's thoughts, questions and answers and I have (shyly) answered some. I really think this is a great place!!!;)

#67 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 08:18 AM

Justine, thank you so much for telling us how you found your way to Ballet Alert! :) I took the liberty of merging your post into this existing thread so we'd keep all our "how we got here" posts in one place.

Please don't be too shy with your own thoughts - especially here in "Discovering Ballet" - we're very "safe" in here. :)

#68 JRB

JRB

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 10:39 AM

I found this site from reading another ballet message board. This is such a great place and everyone is so knowledgeable. I don't even bother to check with the other one anymore. I have since recomended this site to our AD. Now I am looking foward to seeing the results of the SI reports. Advance planning for next summer.:)

#69 sissonne

sissonne

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 03:29 PM

After deciding to resume my classes after several years as an adult student, I did a search on the internet in an effort to find websites or others who shared my passion. After sifting through SEVERAL pages of sites that left much to be desired, I found this site. Impressed by the knowledge of the posters and intelligence level of the conversations (not to mention a much more respectable maturity level than some other boards), I lurked for a while to learn more. Finally, I registered and have enjoyed everyone's company ever since. I've been more active or less active at posting, depending on what may be going on in my life at any given moment, but have always returned.

I've been very impressed at the growth this site has experienced. I searched endless pages before finding BA and now it's one of the more frequently visited sites on the web, it seems!

#70 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 03:44 PM

Hi, sissonne -- I remember you! You were one of our earliest members. I hope you stick around this time :)

#71 sissonne

sissonne

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 June 2003 - 03:59 PM

Thanks Alexandra! I have been trying to make more of an effort to find the time to come here. It's not for lack of interest that I've been MIA, but often, rather lack of time!! I miss you guys!:D

#72 Melodies

Melodies

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 June 2003 - 05:40 PM

I'm a member of a local Chinese ballet BBS, and friends there comment on many oversea ballet BBS. And Ballet Alert stands within top 3 topics. So I come here.

#73 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 02:46 AM

Melodies, can you tell me what "BBS" stands for? I'm guessing it has to be a ballet bulletin or ?
Many thanks for adding your post to this thread. :)

And you, too, JRB! Hope your daughter's AD likes it here, too. ;)

#74 Jaana Heino

Jaana Heino

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 03:34 AM

BW, it means a "bulletin board system".

In the ancient times before Internet it was a certain kind of system you took contact to with your modem and could post thingos there kind of like to the Usenet or Web-boards these days. There were gazillions of these; each BBS could have different topics discussed there on separate forums or groups, but they didn't (mostly) share posts with each other.

(So if you contacted one BBS and posted on ballet there, people could only see that by contacting the _same_ BBS; while these days you just contact to the Internet and whatever is posted on Ballet Alert you can see no matter who your ISP. I'm simplifying here. A lot.)

These days I think BBS means just any kind of discussion forum e.g. on the Web; for instance Ballet Alert would be a BBS.

#75 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 11 June 2003 - 05:30 AM

Aha! Thank you for the explanation Jaana that was way before my days of being connected to the cyber world. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):