This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

The art of discovery or how you found yourself here.

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#46 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 05:54 PM

I discovered the site when Rachel Howard told me she'd been to BA and I should come check out all the posts that had gone up n the site about an article I'd written in Ballet Review -- Seems like I was reading them for 2 or 3 hours. What I'd said about Lucia Lacarra had hit a nerve -- I was fascinated to see how one post sparked another, how the posts kind of flocked or swarmed around a topic --

IT was great to see how much people CARED... whatever view they had, I could see how someone would feel that way. Atm711 had started that thread and thought I had a LOT of nerve (I probably do) we’re good friends now. I was impressed from the very beginning how informed people are, and how much they care. I come back, as the Loving Spoonful sang, because of "the great relief of having you to talk to..."

Actually, I take it back -- Rachel was not the FIRST -- she was the proximate cause, but not the first. The first was when a ballet school director who shall be nameless, but Ms X you know who you are, told me she read Ballet Alert religiously but would NOT post, sounding like Odysseus tied to the mast so he could hear the sirens' song but not f get tempted to do something he'd regret. She impressed me -- the tone of her voice made it clear, this was the real thing....

#47 drval01

drval01

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 10:23 PM

Being a typical ballet mom, I thought all I ever needed to know about ballet could be obtained by word of mouth from other ballet moms or from our Artistic Director. Last January, though, my daughter was accepted to a summer program no one in our little circle had experience with. So, where else to turn but to the internet? Around the 10th page of a google search I found a relevant link. I followed it and, tada, I found myself here.

Now, I realize how narrow my vision was, to believe that 'everything I needed to know about ballet I learned in the studio.' But try as I may to get other moms in our company to become as devoted as I am, they remain in that confined little space of just our (admittedly wonderful) school. Neverthless, I am steadfast in my mission as a BA ambassador.

#48 floss

floss

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 March 2003 - 11:15 PM

i found this site about 6 months ago when i was looking for some information about ballet in general ( i was really just filling in some time until ballet pick up time ) since then i have looked in occasionally. my daughter joined a while ago so now i have decided to join so i can log in and talk as well

#49 BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 02:43 AM

[Message moved to new Thread in Ballet Moms and Dads]

BB

#50 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 13 March 2003 - 03:26 AM

(Bilbo, here is my quick suggestion, so not to derail, the steady steam this thread has bulit up... May I suggest that you start by posting a new topic on the Ballet Moms and Dads forum and see what happens? :P )

#51 Guest_ducklingdance_*

Guest_ducklingdance_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 24 March 2003 - 12:42 PM

Originally posted by Giannina
For both publications write to:

Dance View   or   Ballet Alert
   P.O. Box 34435
   Martin Luther King Station
   Washington, DC  20043

Bellet Alert is $25/year (6 issues)
Dance View is $30/year (4 issues)

Giannina

i wonder if i can get these in singapore? there's hardly any ballet stuff around..

#52 Justdoit

Justdoit

• PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 March 2003 - 02:06 PM

I didn't know anything like this existed. It certainly didn't when my daughter began dancing in 1986 at age 5. When she became a serious ballet student around 1995 it would have been great to have a forum like this to swap info and offer support for all those questions that come up regarding SIs, injuries, styles, and just in general learning about what others in the same position are doing around the world! A good friend and, of course, a former ballet mom, like me, turned me onto the site. Since joining about 8 months ago, I have really enjoyed reading the multitude of topics and the wonderful variety of posts. Every once in awhile I find a topic I know something about and feel compelled to post. Other times I can get absolutely lost in a topic which is so intelligently disected I find myself compelled to reread it many times. I love the daily links!!! It was actually through this thread that I finally decided to subscribe to the two publications. Thank you BA for keeping us all in "the loop."

#53 Rachel

Rachel

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 11:31 AM

I discovered BA when I was directed here for a review of Sofianne Sylvie's performances with NYCB by a member of Pointe Magazine's message board. I was immediately hooked and was glad to discover people who are as obsessed with ballet as I am. It's wonderful to be able to talk with people who have seen Fonteyn and Danilova, who have watched NYCB evolve, and to discuss dancers in a more artisticly educated way (i.e. not limited to "She has great feet") Thank you so much, Alexandra and all other valuable members, for creating a haven for my greatest love.

Rachel

#54 Rachel

Rachel

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 11:33 AM

What is the web address to this "a.a.b?" I'd love to check out any other worthwhile dance sites.

Rachel

#55 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 25 March 2003 - 07:58 PM

Rachel, alt arts ballet is a newsgroup, not a web site. You get there by going to Newsgroups, and then alt arts ballet. It used to be a very good place, a few years ago, but that was when most of the people who are now on BA were there ;)

#56 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 02:54 AM

ducklingdance, both Dance View and Ballet Alert are available on subscription only, but one can subscribe from all continents (I'm a subscriber and I live in France). On can subscribe online on this web site (using a credit card).

You can have a look at that page for some information about it:
http://www.balletale...g/subscribe.htm

The rates for Asia are $40 for a year subscription to "Ballet Alert" and $50 for a year subscription to "Dance View" (and $80 for both).

Hope this helps...

#57 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,280 posts

Posted 26 March 2003 - 08:51 AM

Thank you, Rachel -- both for your kind words and for your excellent posts. :) There are quite a few message boards now. In addition to those at Pointe and Dance Magazine, www.danceart.com has DOZENS of boards, mostly aimed at dancers. There are also discussion groups at www.ballet.co.uk and www.criticaldance.com. Of course, we think ours is the best, but it's good to get out and about :) (The Ballet.Co one is a bit difficult to find -- go to the Postings page.)

And thanks, Estelle, for posting the subscription link -- I've been on deadline the past few days and haven't been able to keep up with the board.

#58 BattementCloche

BattementCloche

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 March 2003 - 09:05 AM

I found Ballet Talk by doing a serch on the internet - I'm a devoted student and none of the others at my school like it as much as I do - they thought I was rather stuck up because I didn't care about anything else. But here, I find help, advice, and UNDERSTANDING PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!

#59 Guest_Dancergal92_*

Guest_Dancergal92_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 22 April 2003 - 06:28 AM

Being I just recently signed up, I remember how I came across BalletTalk. I was searching Ballet on Google, and I came across this site. So far, I am extremely enjoying being here. :)

#60 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 23 April 2003 - 03:15 AM

Thanks to you all who've added to this thread and, although there is not always a post in response - believe me your posts are being read! :cool: I think we all need to take a moment and silently thank the inventors of the Internet for their creative powers, don't you? :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):