This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

The art of discovery or how you found yourself here.

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#16 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 10:31 AM

To stick in yet another 2 cents, it's not a matter of "either/or." There are several people here who post on more than one newsgroup or discussion board :)

I also just checked our current members' totals and 4078 people have registered here since October 1998!

#17 vagansmom

vagansmom

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 05:28 PM

I still don't remember how I found this site. But I think I may have found it from the BalletAlert or Dance View magazine since I subscribed to them first. And I found THOSE magazines at a local ballet studio while waiting for my daughter at a master class. I remember reading an article in my first issue of either one of those with some very witty quotes that originated as a thread here. So I suppose I searched out the website from there.

#18 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 05:37 PM

Hmm, vagansmom, you just gave me an idea for gift giving! Why not subscribe to Ballet Alert and/or Dance View for one's favorite teacher(s) or for the whole school/studio? :)

#19 Tancos

Tancos

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 05:43 PM

I came across Ballet Alert while surfing ballet links. "Ballet Talk" caught my attention because it was moderated -- the other message boards I've come across for men who dance are the sort of sites I only visit once. BT is always a pleasure to visit.

#20 dancindaughter

dancindaughter

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 October 2002 - 09:15 AM

What are the addresses for subscribing to Ballet Alert or Dance View?

#21 Giannina

Giannina

Gold Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 26 October 2002 - 09:32 AM

For both publications write to:

Dance View or Ballet Alert
P.O. Box 34435
Martin Luther King Station
Washington, DC 20043

Bellet Alert is $25/year (6 issues)
Dance View is $30/year (4 issues)

Giannina

#22 vagansmom

vagansmom

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 26 October 2002 - 09:35 AM

As a little advertising plug, I look forward to both these publications because they treat topics in more depth. The reviews and the interviews are detailed as compared to the cursory attention accorded ballets in some other publications.

#23 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 26 October 2002 - 09:44 AM

Thanks for the plug, y'all. I think DanceView (a quarterly review of dance, with long reviews, commentary, interviews) and Ballet Alert! (a bimonthly, more or less, newsletter, with news, previews, interviews, Victoria Leigh's column for young dancers) would make terrific Christmas gifts.

I don't want to mislead anyone -- these do not look like Pointe or DanceMag. They're black and white -- lots of photos, but black and white -- and no ads.

And, you can save a stamp :) Subscribe on line:

http://www.balletale...tm#anchor138471

If you want to give this as a gift, drop me an email afterwards telling me who you are and who you'd like the gift to go to.

Back to discovery :) This is fun -- it's nice to know where everyone came from, and why.

#24 psavola

psavola

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 October 2002 - 11:08 AM

I'm here because I knew Jaana Heino who raved to me at a party about this great ballet-only message board which was moderated and had great professional people.

I lurked around for a short while, and then decided to join. :)

I'm really impressed by the wealth of knowledge on this board and the effort moderators put in.

Päivi

#25 diane

diane

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 26 October 2002 - 11:44 PM

I also came across it as a sort of by-product of looking for qualified answers to some teaching questions.
(After dancing -ballet- professionally for a number of years, then having a two kids, I got the opportunity to teach and wanted to do that as well as possible and was quite hungry for responsible information.)
At another board one of the posters mentioned respecting what a certain Victoria Leigh said.

So I did what anyone does nowadays:
I "googled" Ms Leigh, and found this board. ;-)

Everyone is very courteous and knowledgeable.

The quality of the discussions is quite good; most people are able to express themselves clearly and thoughtfully.
I like that.

-Diane

:)

#26 GWTW

GWTW

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 27 October 2002 - 01:10 AM

I don't remember how I found this site - It was a long time ago and I went through the main site. I was fascinated by the love of classical ballet that comes through and it reminded me a lot of old ballet books (like Arnold Haskell's Balletomania) - I didn't even know that there were people that think like this today. It took me a long time to delurk - to a large extent there is very little connection between the (few) performances I am able to see and the many oerformances that some of you seem to attend on an almost daily basis (i.e. those like Jeannie and the NYC contingent, who live charmed lives, ballet wise) - but now I'm trying not to be shy in posting. Thank you for a wonderful site.

#27 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 06:26 PM

The NY Times had a paragraph or two about Ballet Alert in '98. And if they hadn't, I'd probably still not know about the board.

#28 mic31

mic31

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 November 2002 - 07:13 PM

I was new to ballet and was searching the net for some good informative sites. I found ballet alert through a site on a webring

#29 Guest_girlintheworld_*

Guest_girlintheworld_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 15 November 2002 - 07:12 PM

I stumbled across "the-perfect-pointe" and "the pointe shoe suggestion form" first. It said that "the replies will be posted on Ballet Alert's Ballet Talk in the Pointe Shoe Topics Forum." That's how I found it.

#30 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 04:52 PM

I thought I bring this one back up to the top, in hopes that all the new, and not so new, readers, lurkers, and posters, might feel compelled to tell us all how they discovered Ballet Alert!'s Ballet Talk.

There are people who post here from so many corners of the world...as well as, possibly, right around the corner from where you are sitting.... It's quite amazing really. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):