This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Dancers "sponsored by"

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 29 October 2002 - 09:16 PM

Alexandra, if I recall correctly, the deodorant commercial featured Peter Martins and Allegra Kent costumed for (and dancing?) "Tschaikovsky pas," with the Mazurka music from Swan Lake superimposed. It was edited with MTV sensibility, cut into so many small pieces that not a step -- let alone a phrase -- was discernable. :eek: I also assumed that the royalties from that display went directly to the dancers, not their employer.

I think the "sponsored by" credits are merely a way to acknowledge the "most generous" (or publicity-starved) donors. Personally, I find it vulgar and out of line with the spirit of giving, but if it loosens purse strings, it's a small enough irritant to forgive.

#17 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 04:23 AM

I'm of two minds about dancers being sponsored corporately, with a mention in the program. I think it's a bit tacky, but it certainly beats the old-fashioned way, with sugar daddies supporting their girlfriends' careers in the nineteenth century, and they certainly didn't want program credit, because their wives would find out! Or worse, if they were underwriting more than one and they didn't know about one another!;)

#18 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 04:36 AM

Would that it were merely corporate acknowledgments!

I cite a recent ABT playbill before me, substituting initials for the names of actual human donors:

Ms. Ananiashvili's performance was underwritten by N.E. and W.R.
Mr. Carreno's peformance was underwritten by N.E. and W.R.

Mr. Corella's performance was underwritten by M., P., and L.R.
Ms. Dvorovenko's performance was underwritten by Dr. & Mrs. K.

etc.

#19 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 04:44 AM

Now THAT'S tacky!;)

#20 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 04:49 AM

I'd prefer tacky thanks in programs ;) to a completely impoverished company, though.:eek:

#21 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 04:51 AM

As I said, I still entertain an ambivalence about this practice.;)

#22 Calliope

Calliope

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 05:06 AM

I'd rather see a general acknowledgement, "we'd like to thank the following patrons for their support of our principal dancers...."

Is ABT the only company that does this, at least in print?

#23 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 05:25 AM

I suspect that many donors respond with larger gifts when they have an opportunity to link their names directly to that of a principal dancer. I am so very impressed! Not. But I am grateful.

ABT has been doing this for a couple of years now. At first, the only "underwritten" dancer was Nina Ananiashvili, then Susan Jaffe and (I think) Julio Bocca. Perhaps ABT will find itself in a position where it feels compelled to promote everyone to principal status in order to pull in the really big bucks.

#24 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,279 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 06:59 AM

Aha! NOW we know exactly who to blame if a dancer misses a pirouette, or has an off night, or isn't suited to the role.

THANKS A LOT, N.E. AND W.R. :)

I second Calliope's idea.

#25 Calliope

Calliope

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 30 October 2002 - 07:37 AM

Could you imagine if dancers just didn't show up to work b/c the markets are doing poorly and their sponsors couldn't afford them anymore?!
Does this mean some of them are making "too much" that they need sponsors??

#26 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 05:32 PM

So I take it that so far no one's sporting corporate logos on tights or tutu like on a stock car, right? :rolleyes:

#27 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 31 October 2002 - 08:24 PM

:eek:

Shhhhh!! Don't give anyone such ideas!

#28 Guest_Amy_Dance_*

Guest_Amy_Dance_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 14 November 2002 - 08:50 PM

There are just some things I do not have clear . Why the need of sponsors? Is the company out of money? Are the dancers so great the comapany can not afford them anymore? And why do they sponsor just some dancers ?. In what does it depends ? On how good the dancer is ? Thanks if someone could answear.

#29 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 15 November 2002 - 04:11 AM

Amy, it's just like any other sort of corporate budgeting. If a company doesn't have to pay out so much on personnel, it frees up the money to be applied to other departments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):