Whatever happened to Balanchine's full-length Raymonda?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 03 May 2001 - 06:03 PM

I guess I am still mumbling and grumbling (and missing very much) what American ballet companies once danced.

#17 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,246 posts

Posted 03 May 2001 - 06:41 PM

Oh, please keep mumbling and grumbling! I hope you know that I'm very much in favor of respecting tradition and keeping ballets in repertory.

I remember, just when the full-length boom was starting, that ABT did a triple bill of "Theme and Variations," "Pillar of Fire," and "Fancy Free" It was my first year or so of seeing ballet -- I was still doing standing room -- and I remember being (pleasantly) shocked by it. And then it slowly sunk in that all three of these ballets had been created for ABT. I'd love to see "Shadow of the Wind" and Tudor's "Romeo and Juliet" again, and even some of the more minor pieces -- DeMille, Lichine. And Fokine and Massine did several pieces for them.

We often read and hear that ballet just doesn't have a rich repertory and that's why we have to have so many Made Yesterday 'Noon pieces, but that's not so. There are dozens and dozens of ballets -- good ballets -- that could be done and, I think, if they were done with care, audiences would still respond.

ATM, if you'd like to start another thread with a Wish List, do feel free :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):