This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

In my summer program we do some sketching and pastels. It's really hard to draw ballet positions without studying anatomy first though! We're also doing costumes and scenography which is lots of fun. I think I'd really enjoy being a dance photographer too!

Here's a little trick for people who can't draw people: Take a picture in a newspaper or magazine that you like and trace the body that it shows you. (We all like dance mags, so finding an unadorned body shouldn't be much trouble) Use that as your "master" and just hang costumes from it! It works like a charm.

Mel

an old non-graphic artist from way back

Guest Dorian

I remember vividly my required Art One class in High School. I struggled through the early lessons, which dealt mostly with still life, basic shapes, and perspective. My art teacher was becoming somewhat frustrated with me. The turning point in the class came when we began gestural drawing, a style in which the artist strives to capture the essense of a subject's movement in just a few strokes. Here my eye for movement as a dancer was a distinct advantage... I mastered the concept much more quickly than most in the class. I also did a wire "gestural" sculpture of a dancer in mid-air which I was quite fond of...

I love drawing dancers! I wish I had a scanner or something so I could show you guys some stuff just to get an opinion... but maybe that will come later? My favs to draw are pointe and latin! All you guys think tutu's are easy to draw!? I can't draw them at all! it's hard to make them look so fluffy... anyways, just wanted to post here, because I love drawing dancers too!*megs*

Guest mod-squad

Hello,

I have been drawing (as well as painting) nearly 36 years now (in ballet almost 20 years), and quite frankly don't do much in the way of drawing dancers. Not because I don't have any interest in it, but rather have had some not so friendly experiences while trying to do so.

It seems that either some dancers do not take kindly to it (vain perhaps??), and/or as I am percieved as some sort of 'pervert' drawing girls (usually I get the latter from other parents who are sitting around waiting for their kids to finish class) for lack of a better word.

So I quit doing this (I go to my classes,I dance and then leave.

I'll stick with drawing other subjects.

Landscapes and still life don't do much complaining.

-Peter