This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Dance and Costume

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 01 January 2002 - 12:11 PM

An article from Mirella's "TuTu Review" by Tobi Tobias on the appeal and importance of costume. (Tobias, in addition to being New York Magazine's dance critic, wrote a book last year about fashion called "Obsessed by Dress.")

YOUNG, DRESSED UP, & DANCING

Years and years ago, I asked Bill Carter — a demi-caractère dancer with American Ballet Theatre, a flamenco dancer manqué, and one of the most soulful artists I've ever known — if his vocation had already been evident in his childhood. "Oh, yes," he reminisced, "I was always dressing up and waving scarves around." Since that conversation, having raised a dancing child, who now has a dance-mad little daughter of her own, I've met with much evidence that there's a profound connection, especially in the very young, between dancing and costume....

Like dance, costume is a means of self-expression, which is nearly as essential to human life as air, nourishment, and sleep.
http://www.mirella-d...TuTuReview.html

#2 Juliet

Juliet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 01 January 2002 - 09:20 PM

Reading this article is the best possible start to my new year....thank you so much for the link, Alexandra.

I have been trying to Maintain a Cheerful Aspect in the midst of cold and January greyness...sewing nonstop on two very beautiful costumes for the past few days has helped immeasurably, but this article was a perfect gift for a new year.

Thank you again and best to all--

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,713 posts

Posted 03 January 2002 - 08:06 PM

This was fun to read.

On the subject of costuming, I'd also like to take the opportunity to plug Toni Bentley's "Costumes by Karinska," a beautiful and instructive volume.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):