This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Ballet Rage

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#46 salzberg

salzberg

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 November 2001 - 04:04 PM

[quote]Originally posted by BeastieGrrl:
I actually enjoy seeing (grown) people enjoying the experience to the point that they can't hold back their exclamations of joy!

It's annoying, though, when they sovocalize at a performance that doesn't merit such praise.

#47 Manhattnik

Manhattnik

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 21 November 2001 - 04:13 PM

My brother is fond of telling a story from years ago at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center where his enjoyment of Dances at a Gathering was marred thanks to the man sitting behind him who was making frequent and very uncomplimentary comments about how the dancers were doing.

This barrage of criticism finally ended not long before the curtain, when Jerome Robbins got up and ran backstage, doubtless to give the hapless performers the benefit of the observations he'd shared with those around him in the audience.

#48 colwill

colwill

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 November 2001 - 05:54 AM

I think I had my ultimate ballet rage at a POB performance of Bayadere at the Opera Bastile last week. Seated behind grandparents and two grandchildren who constantly questioned every action on stage. The bobbing of heads and the endless conversation nearly drove me to take physical action. However, since I can barely speak a word of French, their actions went unchallenged. The one redeaming feature was that the seating rake at the Opera Bastille is such that I had a comlpetely unobscured view of the whole of the stage and the dancing was superb, quite one of the best Bayadreres I have seen.

#49 rkoretzky

rkoretzky

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 25 November 2001 - 07:03 PM

OK, I guess I'll jump in here. My peeve has already been mentioned in the thread about NYCB's opening night last week. I thought I'd expand on it there, but this seems to be an appropriate place, so here goes.........

The "overwwrought" fan who shouted "bravo" during the arabesque promenade in the fourth movement of "Serenade" was no fan at all, IMHO. He (yes it was a male voice) was an obnoxious boor who had probably had a few too many at the bar beforehand.
Manhattanik and others who commented on his behavior were being most generous and kind. I have no such thoughts of kindness because he came perilously close to ruining the ballet for me.

When there is a moment of such supreme beauty on the stage, and it is accompanied by such exquisite sound from the pit, I have nothing good to say about the person who destroys it. What this guy did was so inappropriate, so absurd, so wrong...what on earth was he thinking?

We see this in Saratoga every single year at the gala. A few people who suit up in their tuxes and gowns, quaff a few at the Hall of Springs, and weave their way down the hill to show how cultured and classy they are.....well that was some neat move in "Apollo"--look at that she climbed on his back! Bravo! Bravo!

Idiots.

#50 Giannina

Giannina

Gold Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 25 November 2001 - 10:31 PM

Idiots.[/QB][/QUOTE]

Indeed.

Giannina

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):