Danses Concertantes - NYCB dancers in London

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 vila

vila

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 October 2002 - 02:17 AM

A little late to post in recent performances (forgive me, but I only got back from London today) and maybe not that worthwhile as well since I will only echo the things posted earlier, but enjoyed Dances Concertantes so much that it would seem a shame not to mention it. It was tremendously interesting to see these 10 City Ballet dancers since I had seen only a week before the Hubbe and friends (principals and soloists of the NYCB) in Copenhagen. The atmospheres were so different, Sadler’s Wells felt much more intimate and the acoustics/“live “ music were a nice treat. Curiously enough, though I did only attend the Saturday matinee, I was surprised how much fuller the theatre could have been (quite a few top seats were available in the stalls, half of the first circle was empty though the second was packed… says something about the prices I suppose.) The highlights of the representation for me were Yvonne Borrée (who had been a question mark for me in Denmark and who was absolutely delightful here, so delicate and moving… btw it was quite interesting to see the programme began with In the Night, a Robbins that had been chosen in Denmark too), Wendy Whelan’s incredible body and …the those things she does with it, Jock and Wendy in the penultimate movement of Polyphonia and Polyphonia all in all, really …the piece is splendid and those intricate movements between Wendy ad Jock are so still with me along with the beauty it conveyed. It makes me cast another light on Tryst as well and I wouldn’t mind seeing it again.
Duo Concertant was…disconcerting for a brief while but once I entered the piece I was enchanted by Borrée and Boal and that communication/respect between music and dance. Couldn’t help noticing that both the artistic coordination and the programming of Dances Concertantes had been done by Benjamin Millepied (helped in the programming by Alexander Meinertz), so “chapeau!”, since he did not only did he present a lovely piece of choreography … Missed his dancing though, he was a delight at the Tivoli performances.
All in all, feel extremely lucky to have been able to catch such different performances in Europe, especially that I won’t see these wonderful dancers before Nutcracker now.

#17 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,248 posts

Posted 15 December 2002 - 03:17 PM

Marc Haegeman took some photos of these performances which are now up on his site:

http://users.skynet....-lovers/DC.html

(And did a very interesting interview of Wendy Whelan which will be in the next DanceView, out in early January.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):