This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

What did you get for Christmas?

I'm interested to know if anyone got something special and dance related. I received a videotape of Maya Plisetskaya in a variety of ballet excerpts. All I've had time to watch is The Dying Swan which was lovely. Probably the first time I've watched it when I've had the sense of the swan/ballerina losing energy and succumbing. Really nice. Anyone else get videos, books,etc?

Guest dancin'g'al

I got Darcey Bussell's Life In Dance. It's totally nice! biggrin.gif It's so cool that you got the Dying Swan! I want to watch it! wink.gif

[ December 26, 2001: Message edited by: dancin'g'al ]

A friend who knows I love ballet but who herself does not, gave me (among other things, I should make clear) a 16-month 2002 calendar called "Ballet" with photographs of unidentified, and to me unkown, young dancers, by one Doyle Gray. Unfortunately the photographs are all in soft, fuzzy focus. I suppose they are meant to elicit a warm, fuzzy feeling toward a warm, fuzzy art, but my reaction to this kind of photography is "Bah, humbug!"

I gave a nine year old cousin-in-law two ballet books geared toward that age (one dealing with history and one dealing with technique and what it means to be a dancer). I would never had even thought of giving this to her except for the fact that she recently found out that another cousin was doing ballet and she tried to buy 'some of those shoes with wood in the toes'. Luckily the store wouldn't sell them to her without a teachers note.

For the first time ever I got nothing dance related, everything I got was in preperation for college, clothes, a laptop, etc. I'm hoping I'll get those new pointe shoes I need desperately for my birthday in January, I'm down to my last pair! Plus, my college auditions (that I haven't gone to yet) are all in february =)

Ooh Giannina, are you going to see the Royal Ballet? I'm booked for everything till May... smile.gif

For Christmas I got the Gretchen Ward Warren book on Ballet Technique and one of those mini trampolines you use for exercising - i'm hoping it will help with batterie! I also got a little case i'm going to use as a dance bag. I really needed to downsize - my friends think it's hilarious every time I pull four pairs of shoes out of my huge bag, then ask if I can borrow some tights as there are none in the bag! I hope having a small case will make me organised. But that's more of a new year's resolution... new topic! wink.gif

Lucky you! I loved Onegin, it was fantastic! Especially Johannes Stepanek as Lensky... I would have cried if his solo had gone on any longer, he was so wonderful and I felt so sorry for him! I don't usually get so involved but he was just so sad and vulnerable... I hope he is given more chances to shine, he truly deserves them.

What casts are you seeing?

The Cinderella is probably ENB's Michael Corder version? I learned some of the "stars" part of that in my classes there, but I haven't seen the whole ballet.

I got new Chacott pointe shoes, my last pair of Repettos ( they've been discontinued, sniff sniff) have worn out, a Mirella leotard and Sansha ballet slippers. I also got a DVD called "Essential Ballet" with excerpts from the Kirov and Bolshoi. It has some lovely parts, grand pas from Don Quixote with Ananiashvili, act 2 adagio from Swan Lake... but other parts I didn't like.

I asked for one of those big, bouncy excersize balls but I didn't get one, so I'll have to go find one myself!