Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pleiades

Jiri Kylian

3 posts in this topic

As a viewer, Jiri Kylian's choreography is truly extraordinary -- it reaches me on some level that other choreographers do not. I am curious, from any of those on this board who have danced his work, what it feels like as a performer. Do you enjoy it? And if so, what makes it special. Or, if it feels no different or not particularly special I'd love to know that too. And I may very well have not asked the right questions. If that's the case, please answer the ones I didn't ask.

I can't answer any of those questions, being a spectator only, but your questions sound just fine to me. :)

Dancing Kylian, I learned so much about weight, using mine and using my partners'. He is also one of the most articulate gentlemen that I have met. The movement came from within and the dramatic atmosphere came completely from the movement - I was swept along as a dancer and only needed to dance to my best ability. I did not need to add anything except my full physicality. I was overwhelmed by him in many ways.

Dancing his ballets, I felt as I felt dancing Ashton or Balanchine - to parapharase Major Mel in another thread - it was just right. I cannot hear music that I danced to without completely remembering the movement, my emotions dancing ballets by these men, and my partner's reaction to me. Truly special memories.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0