This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Jiri Kylian

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 pleiades

pleiades

• PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 11:00 AM

As a viewer, Jiri Kylian's choreography is truly extraordinary -- it reaches me on some level that other choreographers do not. I am curious, from any of those on this board who have danced his work, what it feels like as a performer. Do you enjoy it? And if so, what makes it special. Or, if it feels no different or not particularly special I'd love to know that too. And I may very well have not asked the right questions. If that's the case, please answer the ones I didn't ask.

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,854 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 05:29 PM

I can't answer any of those questions, being a spectator only, but your questions sound just fine to me. :)

#3 mbjerk

mbjerk

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 28 September 2002 - 08:34 PM

Dancing Kylian, I learned so much about weight, using mine and using my partners'. He is also one of the most articulate gentlemen that I have met. The movement came from within and the dramatic atmosphere came completely from the movement - I was swept along as a dancer and only needed to dance to my best ability. I did not need to add anything except my full physicality. I was overwhelmed by him in many ways.

Dancing his ballets, I felt as I felt dancing Ashton or Balanchine - to parapharase Major Mel in another thread - it was just right. I cannot hear music that I danced to without completely remembering the movement, my emotions dancing ballets by these men, and my partner's reaction to me. Truly special memories.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):