This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Merce Cunningham London Season

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 04:45 PM

I've gotten a couple of emails from people who are curious about the Merce Cunningham London season. There was a world premiere. What was it like? What was the audience response? Did anyone go?

#2 GWTW

GWTW

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 01:42 AM

It has been announced that Merce Cunningham has decided to cancel his performances in Israel. They were supposed to take place in November this year.
On the one hand, I love this site for enabling (and enhancing) my passion for ballet and dance even though I don't have the time or the means to realise this passion often. On the other hand, reading what people on this site have to say about Merce Cunningham has made me so much more depressed about this cancellation than I would be otherwise.

#3 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 06:44 AM

Oh, GWTW, you've hit on the Great Dance Dilemma!! It's sometimes heartbreaking to read about performances one can't see!

I'm sorry the company canceled performances there. And with Cunningham, there's little on video as consolation.

#4 Nanatchka

Nanatchka

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 01:33 PM

At Alexandra's suggestion, I am posting about the availability of Cunningham material on video and VHS. Through the Merce Cunningham Dance Foundation, there is a catologue of material:
www.merce.org
The click on the picture labeled FILM AND VIDEO
http://www.merce.org

(I put in a link but don't know if I did it properly.)

Also, if you go to Amazon through the Ballet Alert link, and go to VHS on the menu, you will find three tapes. On DVD, you will find at least one excellent DVD.

If anyone wants more information, post question and I will attempt to answer.I don't know about compatability with Israeli video systems. I'm sorry you won't get to see the company.

#5 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 03:32 PM

Thanks, Nan. My Cunningham videos are old, and taped off TV. I didn't realize there was commercially available material.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):