This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Hello everyone:

About sixty hours remain until my home town of Saratoga Springs comes alive with the return of NYCB. I'll be at every performance: either as the usher captain in house right or in the audience. Anyone who comes to Saratoga for a performance or two (or all of them!) please come and find me. Any of the ushers in the orchestra sections knows who I am. I'd love to meet you.

As time permits (in the summer I work two jobs--my same old, same old day job and my wonderful job at SPAC), I would like to post my reactions to the season.

"Midsummer" is truly a Saratoga ballet. It was the first ballet ever presented at SPAC at the opening season in 1966. I've never seen it indoors, and I don't know if I would want to.

The combination of the setting sun, the twinkling of the fairies and the bugs, the buccolic setting of the ballet and the place, that glorious music--it is so perfect that you all should experience it. After reading this board, I think I am anticipating seeing Carla Korbes more than just about anything else for the season.

Or maybe not. We have "Polyphonia" on the weekend, we have the Saratoga return of "Dances at a Gathering" (which I saw in NY in the winter==wonderful!--but this is another ballet that is spectacular in an outdoor setting, we have Four T's, I could go on and on and the season hasn't even started yet.

I am so excited!

Guest mary

My 12 year old daughter is attending a summer intensive there right now and will be seeing several NYCB performances. This will be the first "real" ballet she will see. (Previously she had only seen the Nutcracker done by a local company, and behind the scenes a "travelling" Nutcracker she performed in).

I think I'm more excited than she is, but I can't wait to hear what she thinks.

Please keep us posted on your reactions. Thank you!

Hi Mary:

I was watching the NYSSA kids in class yesterday. If you don't mind telling me your daughter's first name, I will look for her when I go to watch again. (they wear nametags). Do you plan to come to Saratoga at all? If so, let's try to meet.

My daughter is a music student and will be attending the NYS Summer School of Orchestral Studies. This will be her third year. She just loves it. Hope your daughter is also having a wonderful experience!

Dear R Koretzky,

My daughter is not old enough for NYSSA (students must be entering eighth grade), so she is attending another summer intensive there this year.

Unfortunately, we will only be in town long enough to see their end of session show, and then turn around and come home again. Hopefully she'll be back again next year for NYSSA!

I just spoke with my daughter a few minutes ago, and she's excited about seeing tomorrow's NYCB performance. I look forward to reading your comments in the coming week.

Hello again, Mary:

Yes, when I realized how young your daughter is I also remembered that there are two other intensive summer programs in Saratoga. Both are outstanding, by the way, and your daughter is in wonderful hands.

I do recommend the NYSSA program when she is old enough. Good luck to her!