This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Donations of Ballet Items

I've posted this in my age category, but have unfortunately not gotten any responses. I thought I might try to post this somewhere else, to a wider public....

The basic question at hand is does anyone know of a place or organization one can donate used ballet items? Often dancers decide that they don't like a pair of shoes, or they outgrow leotards, etc. Is there an organization or school that takes donations of these such items to help their dancers? I'm not trying to sound haughty;I just would personally like to see some of my old, but not worn, dance attire be put to good use. Often you can donate clothes out grown to the salvation army or some other charitable organization. I think it would be nice if there was a similar thing in the dance world. Thanks for any information anyone may have. koshka

That's a good question -- and you're welcome to post in the general area of the board any time, koshka. I don't know of an organization, such as the Salvation Army, but there are dance schools that have scholarship students (I have a friend who runs one in D.C.; all of her students are scholarship and many genuinely impoverished). Perhaps your teacher would know of such a school in your area? If she doesn't, a call to a local middle school or high school might bear some fruit.

Anyone with other ideas?

Dancers in Cuba apparently are in dire need of almost anything - clothes, shoes, etc. I am not sure how one would get the donations to the dancers, but I know of a woman who could probably help you - she is in charge of costumes at Ballet Arizona and there is a Cuban connection there. You could probably reach her through their website.

Annie, right now I mainly have shoes that I don't use (and probably won't ever use). I'm not sure if the leotards will fit you :) . The main thing I want to donate is a bag of good leotards that I have collected over time, from various people, that are child sized. I want to give them to someone or someplace that will appreciate them and will get full use out of them.