This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

ballet dancers in television roles

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 Swanilda8

Swanilda8

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:53 PM

Joss Whedon must like ballet dancers. He has always hired at least one former ballet dancer (usually professional) as a series regular on all his programs. As a Whedon fan, I've always had fun picking out the dancers among his cast. Summer Glau, mentioned earlier in this thread) got her start in that "Angel" episode, then quickly went on to become a series regular in Whedon's "Firefly." Her character was a genius whose talents included dance. Besides Glau, other Whedon series regulars who were also ballet dancers, either as actual professional dancers or long-time pre-professional  students include:

That's interesting - I knew Summer Glau but I didn't realize how many other Whedon actors are from ballet. I heard an interview with Whedon last summer (on BBC radio's Wittertainment) in which he said that he'd like his next project to be a ballet. It wasn't clear if he meant filming a ballet or staging one, but either way, I'd be very interested. I think he'd do a great Coppelia or Giselle. Coppelia especially seems to coincide with lots of his interests (uncanny dolls, magic, strong female central character, etc).

#62 Jayne

Jayne

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:46 PM

I'd like to see him film The Dream

#63 vagansmom

vagansmom

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:31 AM

Swanilda8, I went searching for that BBC radio interview and found this other interview where he discusses his reasons for wanting to do a ballet about a library. The interview is really about his black-and-white short film "Much Ado About Nothing" (modern rendition; it's both hilarious and poignant), but it leads to his ideas about film as movement and how he loves dance. I've pasted some excerpts below, but you can read the full interview at

http://flavorwire.co...bout-a-library/

But movement is the essence of film, it’s why there’s film...Dance for me is the most sublime thing that there is, and free action kind of replaced dance in American cinema. We used to have Fred Astaire and now we have guys flying through plate glass windows...One of the things that I loved best, obviously, was working with Summer [Glau]. Because she acts with her entire body, her fingernails are emotive. I think some of you may already know how I feel about her feet. If you watch [Fireflyseries finale] ‘Objects in Space’ it gets a little weird.”

#64 Swanilda8

Swanilda8

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:34 AM

Thanks! I heard him talk about it in another interview about Much Ado this summer, but I didn't get that much detail. That he talked about it in two interviews fairly recently gives me more hope that he's actually going to make it. Fingers crossed! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):