This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

How often do you go to the ballet?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 03 March 2002 - 10:34 AM

How often do you go to the ballet, on average, in a year?

#2 Tancos

Tancos

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 March 2002 - 09:59 PM

It might be a good idea to divide the "0-10 times" option into two or three smaller categories. Out here in the Great Mid-American Nowhere, there aren't 10 ballet productions in a year, let alone 20 or 100. Also, if the software permits, it might be interesting for the voter to indicate where he or she lives.

#3 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 03 March 2002 - 10:14 PM

All good points, Tancos, but the software is pretty much yes/no/maybe. You can do multiple questions, but they all have to be multiple choice. (That is, I could have a second question that says: I live in a:
A. Large city
B. Medium-cized city.
C. Small town
D. Rural area

I think the best way to handle it is to do what you just did -- add a comment here. (Of course, then one's vote isn't anonymous, but that probably won't matter. And only registered members can vote in the polls.)

#4 koshka_jete

koshka_jete

• PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 March 2002 - 12:13 AM

Adding my two cents in here...I voted on the 0-10 times a year, but that is as much as possible down here (mississippi). Except there is the IBC this year...

#5 Hal

Hal

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 March 2002 - 04:06 AM

You should set the ranges so they don't overlap. For example instead of: 1-10, 10-25. 25-50, 50-100, 100+ you should use for example: 1-9, 10-24, 25-49, 50-99, 100+

Also, I am assuming that by "ballet" you mean dance in general and to include modern dance performances as well (i.e. Paul Taylor, et.al.)

#6 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 04 March 2002 - 06:00 AM

Actually, Hal, I meant ballet, not dance in general (or ice skating smile.gif ). Sorry if the Taylor-Cunningham discussion confused this. On this site, generally "ballet" means ballet smile.gif

#7 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 04 March 2002 - 05:55 PM

1 - 10 performances a year 36% (14)
10-25 performances a year 31% (12)
25-50 performances a year 15% (6)
50-100 performances a year 15% (6)
more than 100 performances a year 3% (1)

These are the results.

Alas, the polls are now closed -- at least for the time being (too much strain on the server).

#8 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 04 March 2002 - 06:16 PM

I'd really be interested in knowing in which city the lucky person who replied "more than 100 performances" is living... smile.gif

#9 Guest_Ballet Dad_*

Guest_Ballet Dad_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 04 March 2002 - 07:09 PM

Sorry I missed the poll, as I am currently between computers, but it has been pretty bleak here in Cleveland since Nahat and company moved west.

However, 2002 should be a good year as some fine companies will be visiting the Playhouse Square theatres in the upcoming months:

1) Washington Ballet
2) Joffrey
3) ABT
4) Pennsylvania Ballet

It looks like the drought is over!

#10 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 05 March 2002 - 01:02 AM

Ballet Dad, good news for Cleveland.

I'm very sympathetic to the plight of those who live outside areas served by ballet companies. I don't know what will solve this. It's highly unlikely that there will be the big national tours by both American and visiting companies. I think this is one of the biggest reasons why ballet isn't more popular -- it can't be. People don't have a chance to know it.

This might be worth a thread. Please check News and Views smile.gif

#11 Hal

Hal

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 07 March 2002 - 03:47 AM

"Actually, Hal, I meant ballet, not dance in general (or ice skating ). Sorry if the Taylor-Cunningham discussion confused this. On this site, generally "ballet" means ballet "

I don't know what you mean by "Ballet" means "Ballet". By whose definition. When the NYCB dances works by Cunningham (that were originally for his own company) like Summertime, how do you classify that? Also as noted in another thread, most definitions found in anything but large unabridged dictionaries doesn't even mention pointe. And one of my old dictionaries from college, Websters Mew World Dictionary of the American Language (1958) would omit nearly all of Balenchine but include most modern dance! Ballet 1. an intricate group dance using pantomine and conventionalized movements to tell a story, 2. dancing of this kind, 3. dancers of ballet.

Even my unabridged Websters Third New International (1976)has a fairly broad set of definitions: 1. artistic dancing to which conventionalized poses and steps are combined with light and flowing figures and movements (as leaps and turns) (a lesson in ~ usu. includes
exercises in balancing), 2. a) a theatrical art form by which ballet dancing together with music, scenery, costume, and sometimes pantomimeor speach conveys a story, theme or atmosphere to the audience, B)...... 3. a company of persons who perform ballet (the New York City Ballet).

So I think while everyone would agree that Ice Skating is not ballet, but what about Ice Dancing? Not the crap at the olympics. But I recall when a number of years ago Currey (tim's brother - cant remember his first name) got a group of real ballet choreographers together to choreograph a broadway production with his professional skater/dancers. The choreographers included Peter Martins and other well known ballet choreographers. It was a wonderful breathtaking and ground breaking show.

#12 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 07 March 2002 - 09:13 AM

Hal -

I know the answer to this one from discussions with Alexandra about the founding of the site so I'll take the question. You'll find that the site has a very pro-ballet stance, but I hope that doesn't get mistaken for an "anti-everything else" one, as you'll witness from the lively discussions on Taylor and Morris right now in the dance forum. One of the primary reasons Ballet Alert was founded was so there would be a place on the Internet to talk "ballet as ballet" so that the actual definitions and qualities (the ones given by the people who created, codified and developed ballet, rather than the very general ones given in the dictionary) don't become lost through misuse and disuse.

What that means is that for the purposes of discussion here, "Cloven Kingdom" by Paul Taylor is a masterwork, but it isn't a ballet, no matter how many ballet companies have danced it. And Ice dancing is wonderful and balletic, but it's skating, not ballet. (Of course, this would make a poll almost unanswerable, what if you went to see ABT in an evening of Sunset and Black Tuesday by Taylor and Duets by Merce Cunningham - Did you go to see the ballet? Well, sorta, you went to see a ballet company doing modern dance. . .)

And by the way, when I answered the poll, I blew it as well and tallied up all my dance performances, not just the ballet ones wink.gif

[ March 07, 2002, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: Leigh Witchel ]

#13 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 07 March 2002 - 10:06 AM

Thank you, Leigh. Exactly. I probably should have called the site "Spotlight on ballet!" It would have made it clearer. smile.gif

#14 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 07 March 2002 - 12:00 PM

And one other thing I forgot to emphasize - there's a forum to talk about modern dance and also a forum to talk about skating and ice dancing (heck, we even just added a place to talk about "other arts" and we've been discussing opera there) so please don't feel that because we don't think that certain things aren't ballet that they become off-limits for discussion.

[ March 07, 2002, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: Leigh Witchel ]

#15 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 07 March 2002 - 12:19 PM

And I'll add one more thing -- which is probably more than Hal wanted to know, but I think it's good to raise this issue once every three months or so for new people, especially since it's easily misunderstood. Ballet Alert!, the newsletter (which preceded this site) was started because I became worried that "ballet" was being subsumed into "dance" (modern dance is, too), that everything was being blended together, and I wanted to put a focus on BALLET, classical and neoclassical BALLET. I'd encountered several young writers (under 30) who would say things like "I love ballet, even though I know, of course, it's totally old-fashioned..." As an editor, I wanted to give them permission, as it were, to write about ballet, to see ballet, to love ballet, without apology.

But this message board isn't pro-ballet in the sense of boosting ballet at the expense of anything else. It was originally intended to be a letters to the editor space for readers of both Ballet Alert! and DanceView. Several of our writers are regular posters and have been since the beginning.

If there was one impetus for starting this discussion group it was a discussion on a newsgroup that has a much more catholic approach to dance (which I think is a good thing; this site was meant to be a supplement, not an alternative or replacement, to that). There was a thread on Matthew Bourne's "Swan Lake" and the question of whether this work is a ballet, or really modern dance, was raised. The discussion turned rather nasty, to my eyes, with those trying to explain why it wasn't a ballet being attacked by those who said this was splitting hairs and didn't matter, or that the work was a ballet because of the name and the music. I wanted to have a place -- a safe place -- for people who did understand this issue, and for whom it did matter, or who might be curious about why it was an issue at all. The site was not set up to force an opinion on those who don't share that view.

What I'd also hoped is that we would be able to talk about choreography within this context. A discussion, say, on one of my notions, that Taylor and Ashton are related musically and in certain sensibilities, as are Balanchine and Cunningham (and there are great differences, of course). Or to talk about skating from a dance point of view (I loved the Curry company and thought Curry himself one of the finest choreographers of his generation). We couldn't do this at the beginning, but I think the board has established its character firmly enough, and has a strong core consistency, to do this, which is why I put up the Dance and Other Arts forums, and allowed the Olympics skating discussion.

[ March 07, 2002, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: alexandra ]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):