This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Kingdom of the Shades 1900

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 grace

grace

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 06:53 AM

thanks. that was my guess. (i've never heard of a musicologist before!) :)

#17 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 12:23 PM

Carbro, I looked at my tape of the Royal Ballet's "La Bayadere" and they perform the movement you describe, so it doesn't seem to be an addition. Couldn't find my Kirov tape to check it against, though.

#18 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 10:14 PM

(For the record, I thanked Hans privately. Did not want his post to hang unacknowledged.) ;)

#19 doug

doug

Bronze Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 02:14 PM

Hi, everyone.

Carbro -- I think the movement you mention is too detailed to be included in the notation made in 1900, although the Bayadere notations are very detailed, relatively speaking. I can dig them out and check when I have a moment.

Grace -- the notations are in the Stepanov dance notation system, used in St. Petersburg at the turn of the 20th century. The Bayadere notations are based on the December 1900 revival by Petipa. These are the main documents upon which the Kirov has based their recent reconstruction.

#20 paul

paul

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 12:54 PM

I know the La Bayadere Reconstruction from a video tape only.
(Will see a live performance in London on August 2nd).
The main difference is surely the 4th act. The whole grandeur and drama of Petipas Coreography - so long buried - took me completely by surprise. I love this 4th act so much I watch it at least once a week.

#21 R S Edgecombe

R S Edgecombe

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 10 July 2003 - 10:28 AM

I greatly enjoyed this thread--having at last learned to navigate my way around the site. I was amused by your flying veil observation, Alexandra. Clearly falling veils have remained in vogue, for I recall one in Agnes de Mille's Oklahoma ballet--if indeed it was her choreography that was staged in the Cambridge Theatre, London, in the early eighties. I was sitting near the stage, and was puzzled by a bucket suspended from one of the lighting battens. Its function became apparent when it tilted a veil on to the ballerina during the ballet.

With all good wishes

Rodney

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):