This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

The New Mariinsky Theater

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 Kevin Ng

Kevin Ng

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 01:49 AM

Viviane, in reality an architect these days needs to please the clients and fulfil their requirements set, and has no scope to 'educate' them. I know because I have some friends and relatives who are architects.

I think that Mr. Gergiev is trying to create a major new landmark in the historic city of St. Petersburg to attract attention from arts lovers all over the world. But I too have my doubts if this is really what the Kirov Ballet needs, besides better and more spacious studios and dressing rooms.

#17 Viviane

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 02:23 AM

Kevin, I still consider the job as an independent one and an architect need to act like that too ! With 'pleasing clients' only, you're walking on a very dangerous path...most of the televisionstations are doing that aswell :)
I do agree though -never bend for money- is not the easiest way !
There is nothing wrong with trying to attract arts-lovers and creating a new landmark ofcourse, but on this scale things can run out of hand. And you need a designer who has a subtle sensitiveness towards the existing environment, a profond knowledge of the history of the site, a master in jugling with proportions not someone who simply wants to impose his own mark.

And I want to add : 'pleasing clients' can't be a good excuse to make a bad design !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):