16 replies to this topic

#16 Kevin Ng

Kevin Ng

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 01:49 AM

Viviane, in reality an architect these days needs to please the clients and fulfil their requirements set, and has no scope to 'educate' them. I know because I have some friends and relatives who are architects.

I think that Mr. Gergiev is trying to create a major new landmark in the historic city of St. Petersburg to attract attention from arts lovers all over the world. But I too have my doubts if this is really what the Kirov Ballet needs, besides better and more spacious studios and dressing rooms.

#17 Viviane

Viviane

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 02:23 AM

Kevin, I still consider the job as an independent one and an architect need to act like that too ! With 'pleasing clients' only, you're walking on a very dangerous path...most of the televisionstations are doing that aswell :)
I do agree though -never bend for money- is not the easiest way !
There is nothing wrong with trying to attract arts-lovers and creating a new landmark ofcourse, but on this scale things can run out of hand. And you need a designer who has a subtle sensitiveness towards the existing environment, a profond knowledge of the history of the site, a master in jugling with proportions not someone who simply wants to impose his own mark.

And I want to add : 'pleasing clients' can't be a good excuse to make a bad design !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):