This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I'm a thirteen year-old ballet student, and I'd like to know what kinds of tapes or DVDs would be most appropriate for me. Is it best to see everything of one company, or get a wide range of ballets with different styles. In classical ballet, I only have RB's Swan Lake (Makarova/Dowell) and Essential Ballet: Russian Stars (Makhalina, Ananiashvilli, Maximova, Vasiev, Ruzimatov, etc) performing Paquita grand pas, Diana & Acteon pas de deux, The Leaves are Fading, Don Q grand pas, and much more. I've seen others, like RB's Bayadere (Asylmuratova, Bussel, ?). What else is appropriate for a "beginner's" viewing? Thanks for your help~!!

Veronica

And if selection of works is a criterion, try to start with well-known classics - things that establish the "gold standard" of classical ballet. You have Swan Lake, which is good, now try to shoot for other known names like Giselle and Sleeping Beauty. You might just be surprised at some of the things you see in them - from the point of view of familiarity!:)