This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Gossip!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 Dave

Dave

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 July 2001 - 12:39 AM

As one of the administrative employees to whom Alexandra refers, I'll respond to her query. For me, self-preservation plays into this situation. I generally avoid saying a lot here simply because I am not always 100% certain how much of what I hear at PNB is public knowledge, and I prefer to err on the side of caution. Since our Olivier is a frequent poster here and has firsthand knowledge of what company news is for the public ear, I leave it to him to post what is appropriate.

I'll also add, as a humorous aside, that I frequently see information posted to various sites by members of the public which causes PNB administration to ask "How do they KNOW this stuff?"

[ 07-03-2001: Message edited by: Dave ]

#17 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 03 July 2001 - 09:31 AM

Dave, your self-preservation concerns are quite valid :) In answer to the "how do they know this stuff?" Check under the stairs in the prop room; there are people who live backstage, I think, wired, with boom mikes :)

Seriously, the problem of professionals on the internet is a very knotty one. I've been almost frightened by some of the things that the few dancers we have here occasionally post -- don't you know your boss will read that? So some post anonymously and only a few people guess who they are. Then what to do if you're dancer/administrative employee of Company X and someone posts: "I hate company X. They're awful. And besides, they're racist and mean to women." Do you defend them? If so, do you "come out"?

Dancers are the one group left out of the internet. While it's been a terrific outlet for other voiceless groups -- fans who never get to write reviews and finally have a chance to ask the famous "Where were you sitting????" question -- dancers/choreographers can't. They can't refute gossip. They can't say, "Actually, I'm a very good dancer most days but my bum knee was acting up last night and my regular partner had the mumps and because of the power failure, we had no rehearsal time." They can't even say, "I did NOT steal half of those steps from Maestro II and I do too like women."

So the internet is an imperfect tool. But it's fun anyway :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):