Race! Gender! Classicism/fine art

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#16 bijoux

bijoux

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 July 2001 - 08:40 PM

well put.another unfortunate stereotype as you have briefly mentioned is that ballet dancers don't know how to use their brains and from what I have heard,many ballet dancers who have left the stage have gone on to pursue their doctorates in physics or psychology,or have landed jobs with design firms or in technology.I know a dancer who lost her job with a ballet company and got a fantastic job in the technology fiedl in part because of her discipline and attention to detail.Many "lay"-people fail to realize how much dancers, and I think artists in general, have to use their brains.Of course there is the obvious issue of remembering combinations and choreography,but the mere survival effort in the dance world requires quick thinking.The quickest and the brightest survive,don't you think?I mean,think of all of those men in ballet who have had to fight stereotyipng. whether it was conscious or not,they have proven people wrong time and again by reinventing the idea of the male ballet dancer,lately by likening themselves to gymnasts and even pro ball players in their physical feats.I don't think it has always been an accident.Look at people like Arthur Mitchell and Alvin ailey who found a void in the dance world in terms of where minorities fit and created dance companies(successful dance companies)to fill those voids.Look at "Career Transition for Dancers" and Boston Ballets'"Dancers Resource fund"Both are created by dancers recognizing the importance fo looking at the future and going beyong the expected'shut up and dance"cliche'I think I could go on for days about this,but I'll stop here

[Edited to take out the quote. I've noticed several people doing this, so this is a general note. To reply, just hit the Post Reply button (it's not one of the icons at the top of a post, but separate). If you want to quote part of a previous post -- not just the one immediately before yours, but any on a thread -- then hit the little "" sign.]

[ 07-08-2001: Message edited by: alexandra ]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):