• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 felursus

felursus

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 01 September 2002 - 07:30 PM

My husband, a member of the New York Choral Society, performed the Mahler 8th at Avery Fisher Hall a couple of years ago. AFH is the normal venue for the NY Philharmonic, which frequently performs choral works. The lights in the hall are usually dimmed - but not so much that one cannot follow the words in a programme. The same holds true of Carnegie Hall, which is frequently the venue for recitals by singers as well as for choral groups. I imagine, however, that people who need a lot of light in order to be able to read do have a problem with the lighting levels, but I think that if the lights are kept fully up, it would be very distracting.

Helena, I hope you enjoyed tonight's performance. I need to listen to it more, as I'm struggling with the score, and rehearsals start in a week's time. (What's more, I'm also re-learning the Mozart & Brahms Requiems, both of which I will be singing on Sept. 11th as part of the anniversary commemorations of the terror attacks. So I'm getting quite a contrast in musical styles all in one week!)

#17 Helena

Helena

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 02 September 2002 - 06:36 AM

Apologies in advance for being off-topic. Felursus, the Mahler is very tricky - I found it very hard, too. I found listening to recordings and fitting my part (first alto) in with them the easiest way of getting the difficult harmonies into my brain! It all fell into place in the end.

In Britain it is standard to keep the lights up, as you probably know since you've lived in Britain.

#18 Lolly

Lolly

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 04 September 2002 - 10:32 AM

Is anyone listening to it? Gosh it still sounds fabulous!:)

#19 Lolly

Lolly

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 04 September 2002 - 10:34 AM

Hmm... except for the loud coughing after the balcony scene!:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):