This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

City Center Casting?

Hi!

The City Center casting was published in the ABT ad in the Sunday NY Times...

Tidbits:

*No casting yet for "Garden of Villandry" and some later performances of Robert Hill and James Kudelka's new ballets. The "Harrison Tribute" cast is listed as Company.

*Meunier is apparently dancing the 3rd Movement of "Symphony in C" with Ethan Stiefel in at least on performance. This seems like a mismatch to me-she is tall and solid, whereas he on the short and slighter side. She's also doing the 1st Movement with David Halberg in another peformance which seems like a much better match.

*From the corps, David Halberg, Carlos Lopez, Ricardo Torres, Angela Snow, Liz Gaither and Alina Faye are all being cast in major roles

*Ananiashvili is doing one Symphony in C at the beginning of the season and then returning for Offenbach in the Underworld at the end of the two weeks.

*No major absences, though Herman Cornejo is doing very little, at least on this version of the casting list.

*Angel Corella is the "workhorse" of the season. If he appears in the Harrison Tribute (which he should if the cast is Company), he will be dancing in all but one performance during the two week run and dancing in the orignal casts of all four new ballets.

*Kudelka and Hill have both cast Kent, Corella and Gomes in the major roles of their new ballets. Gomes is also in Lubovitch's ballet. Given that there is so much talent in ABT, it would have been nice to see the choreographers choose a wider ranger of dancers. I wonder if there were some unfortunate injuries during the key rehearsal periods...

Kate

Meunier is doing THIRD movement?

Well, when Ananiashvili first guested with ABT, they also paired her originally with Steifel for Bayadere and everyone quickly figured out it wasn't going to work (she did it with Askegard.)

But casting Meunier in third movement? Why? I can't recall its earliest casting, but nowadays, at NYCB, the movement is cast with a smaller leading couple and a very tall corps, almost like a shadow box. I don't know if that has always been the casting (there's nothing that says that tall people can't jump) but I'm just curious what McKenzie sees in Meunier to put her in third movement.

Hi!

Well, I'm not 100% sure that she'd doing 3rd Movement-the casting lists the four couples and I think it's in order of the movements.

Herman Cornejo & Xiomara Reyes and Angel Corella & Gillian Murphy and Joaquin De Luz & Reyes are the other couples that seem to be dancing 3rd movement-all couples who are shorter.

Also, Vladimir Malakhov, Julio Bocca, Guillame Graffin, Ashley Tuttle, Alessandra Ferri and Amanda McKerrow are absent from the cast list-unless they are in the Harrison Tribute or The Garden of Villandry. Does anyone know if they are injured or otherwise comitted?

It seems a bit odd that six of the sixteen principals are not dancing at all. This situation puts a lot of pressure on the other eight dancers-Carreno, Gomes and Corella are dancing in almost every performance, and an injury to one of them would necessitate major casting adjustments. It was only a few years ago that Damian Woetzel had to do a performance with ABT because they didn't have enough healthy male dancers.

Kate

Is Part listed as doing anything? Dvorovenko?

I had better bestir myself to get a paper.

I don't know how McKenzie could look at Meunier and think anything but Second Movement of Symphony in C, but it seems Peter Martins had that same lack of vision, heck, common sense. I mean, look at her: she's nothing if not grand and sculptural. Sure she can jump, and perhaps McKenzie saw that. Let's hope he doesn't forget it when it comes time to cast Myrtha next time around, although then he'll probably decide Meunier would be dandy in the Peasant Pas. With Steifel. Dear God! Isn't she at least six inches taller than him?

At least she's doing First Movement -- that should be a treat.

Perhaps they could revive Symphony Concertante and give us Meunier and Dvorovenko in the leads? That would be the next-best thing to McKenzie's aquiring Concerto Barocco for the same leads. Neither is likely, but a guy can dream, can't he?

Well, I would imagine that Malakhov is getting things pulled together in his first season at Berlin; Bocca is probably tango-ing with Ballet Argentina who will appear a week after the City Center season; Ferri is probably doing family stuff or enjoying the glorious Italian autumns (I don't recall her appearing much here in the fall seasons recently); Tuttle is taking a break, and I thought that McKerrow was semi-retiring?

I also agree that it is going to be a peculiar choice if Meunier does indeed do 3rd mvt. Bizet. Not that she can't, but why? She would be wonderful in 2nd......

Juliet

Hi!

Part is scheduled for two performances of "Symphony in C"-she's dancing the 2nd Movement with Carlos Molina. I'm not surprised that she's only cast in a few things-as a new company member Part was probably not around when the new and newly revived ballets were rehearsed.

Dvorovenko is one of the busiest women in the company. I hope that she has fully recovered from the injury that kept her off the stage during the Met Season. She's doing 1st movement in Syphony in C, Sylvia Pas se Deux and Grand Pas Classique with her husband. She's also doing 2nd Movement in Symphony in C with Gomes and Offenbach in the Underworld with Saveliev.

Kate

Leigh, I know NYCB has always cast short jumpers for the 3rd movement, but did you see it with Maria Alexandrova (who resembles Meunier facially and size) when the Bolshoi Ballet did Symphony in C in 2000? It was like a 747 taking off. Fabulous. Although I'll always remember Meunier in the 2nd movement from her SAB workshop and therefore pine to see it again, I had wished sometimes she could do the third as well after seeing MA do it with the Bolshoi.

The partnering with Stiefel is odd. She just doesn't seem to be the right size for him. Although a lot of the 3rd movement is side-by-side dancing, there are a few lifts. Maybe it is like this. Stiefel, knowing Meunier from their days at SAB and NYCB, wants to send a message about partnering and working with Meunier to the rest of the company by working with her. Like a top center telling the coach he wants the inexperienced but highly talented right wing on his line in hockey.

The casting and partnering for Meunier in the 1st movement makes a lot of sense. And Part in the 2nd movement, it will make the task of seeing Clear easier. :(

Holy moly.

Meunier really is slated to do third movement Symphony in C on the 16th with Steifel. I just can't picture it. Heavens she is slated to do it TWICE. (Sun eve the 20th.)

She is also doing first movement with David Hallberg on Saturday the 19th matinee. This also includes a Grand pas Classique with Dvorovenko and Beletserkovsky. That would have to be a riveting experience.

Veronica Part also has a second movement on Sunday evening as well.

Who knows, maybe it will work. I remember a few years ago, there was a section of Histoire du Soldat that had Millepied partnering Meunier for a bit. It went perfectly.

Meunier also is doing Offenbach in the Underworld. I did think that she would do one of the pas de deux, she's be smashing in Grand Pas Classique, but I guess at ABT she's just a soloist.

While it's going to be great seeing Part in the 2nd movement of Sym. in C, she doesn't seem to be cast in anything else.

Here's the official word. A press release from aBT re casting.

CASTING ANNOUNCED FOR AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE'S FALL SEASON AT CITY CENTER, OCTOBER 15-27, 2002

Four World Premieres to Include A Tribute to George Harrison and New

Works by Robert Hill, James Kudelka and Lar Lubovitch

Monique Meunier and Veronika Part to Debut with ABT

Soloists Monique Meunier and Veronika Part will make their Company

debuts on opening night, October 15. Miss Meunier will dance the role

of the Queen of the Carriage Trade in Antony Tudor's Offenbach in the

Underworld and Miss Part will dance the role of the Operetta Star. Miss

Part will also perform in excerpts from A Tribute to George Harrison on

the opening night program. On Wednesday evening, October 16, Miss

Meunier will debut in the third movement of George Balanchine's Symphony in C, and on Sunday evening, October 20, Miss Part will dance the second movement in Symphony in C for the first time with ABT.

Additional role debuts scheduled for the season include Gillian Murphy in Grand Pas Classique on Wednesday, October 16 and in Fancy Free on Thursday, October 17. Carlos Lopez and Marcelo Gomes will debut in

Fancy Free at the Sunday, October 20 matinee, and Michele Wiles and

David Hallberg will perform Grand Pas Classique for the first time with

ABT at the Saturday, October 26 matinee.

Tickets for American Ballet Theatre's 2002 City Center season are

priced from $30-$75 and are available by calling CityTix at 212-581-1212

or on-line at citycenter.org. City Center is located at West 55th

Street between 6th and 7th Avenues in New York City.

Complete casting follows:

FIRST WEEK

Tues. Eve., Oct. 15, 7 P.M. OPENING NIGHT GALA

A TRIBUTE TO GEORGE HARRISON (Excerpts) Isn't It a Pity (Welch), My Sweet Lord (Parsons) - Company

SYLVIA PAS DE DEUX (Pas de deux and Coda) Ananiashvili, Gomes

GRAND PAS CLASSIQUE (Pas de deux and Coda) Dvorovenko, Belotserkovsky

DANCING WITH MONET (Excerpts) Valse Romantique - Murphy, Hallberg; Clair de Lune - Abrera, Molina

DIANA AND ACTEON - Herrera, Saveliev*

OFFENBACH IN THE UNDERWORLD (Excerpt) - Part, E. Brown, Meunier, Molina, Reyes, Lopez

FANCY FREE - Corella, Stiefel, Carreño, S. Brown, Kent, Faye*

Wed. Eve., Oct. 16, 8 P.M.

CLEAR - Kent, Corella

GRAND PAS CLASSIQUE - Murp[hy*, Carreño

SYLVIA PAS DE DEUX - Herrera, Gomes

SYMPHONY IN C - Dvorovenko, Belotserkovsky, Ananiashvili, Molina, Meunier*, Stiefel, Wiles, Radetsky

Thurs. Eve., Oct. 17, 8 P.M.

THE GARDEN OF VILLANDRY (Revival Premiere) - S. Brown*, Molina*, E. Brown*

SYLVIA PAS DE DEUX - Dvorovenko, Belotserkovsky

NEW BALLET BY JAMES KUDELKA (World Premiere) - Kent, Gomes, Corella

FANCY FREE - De Luz, Stiefel, Carreño, Herrera, Murphy*, Faye

Fri. Eve., Oct. 18, 8 P.M.

A TRIBUTE TO GEORGE HARRISON (World Premiere) - Company

CLEAR - Murphy, Gomes

SYMPHONY IN C - Herrera, Hallberg, Dvorovenko, Gomes, Reyes, H. Cornejo, Liceica, Torres

Sat. Mat., Oct. 19, 2 P.M.

THE GARDEN OF VILLANDRY- S. Brown, Molina, E. Brown

SYLVIA PAS DE DEUX - Herrera, Gomes

GRAND PAS CLASSIQUE - Dvorovenko*, Belotserkovsky*

SYMPHONY IN C ? Meunier**, Hallberg, Ananiashvili, Carreño, Murphy, Corella, Wiles, Radetsky

Sat. Eve., Oct. 19, 8 P.M.

A TRIBUTE TO GEORGE HARRISON - Company

NEW BALLET BY JAMES KUDELKA - Kent, Gomes, Corella

FANCY FREE - De Luz, Stiefel, Carreño, Herrera, Murphy, Faye

Sun. Mat., Oct. 20, 2 P.M.

THE GARDEN OF VILLANDRY - Thomas*, Reed*, Bragado-Young*

GRAND PAS CLASSIQUE - Murphy, Carreño

NEW BALLET BY JAMES KUDELKA - Herrera*, Molina* De Luz*

FANCY FREE ? Corella, Lopez*, Gomes*, S. Brown, Kent, Snow*

Sun. Eve., Oct. 20, 7:30 P.M.

DIANA AND ACTEON - Herrera, Carreño

SYLVIA PAS DE DEUX - Ananiashvili, Gomes

SYMPHONY IN C - Dvorovenko, Belotserkovsky, Part**, Molina, Meunier, Stiefel, Liceica, Torres

SECOND WEEK

Tues. Eve., Oct. 22, 8 P.M.

NEW BALLET BY ROBERT HILL (World Premiere) - Kent, Corella, Gomes

FANCY FREE - De Luz, Stiefel, Carreño, S. Brown, Murphy, Faye

Wed. Eve., Oct. 23, 8 P.M.

CLEAR - Kent, Corella

NEW BALLET BY LAR LUBOVITCH (World Premiere) - S. Brown, Gaither, E. Cornejo, Gomes, Stiefel, Corella

SYMPHONY IN C - Herrera, Belotserkovsky, Part, Molina, De Luz, Liceica, Torres

Thurs. Eve., Oct. 24, 8 P.M.

CLEAR - Murphy, Stiefel

NEW BALLET BY ROBERT HILL - Kent, Corella, Gomes

OFFENBACH IN THE UNDERWORLD (Revival Premiere) - Ananiashvili*, E. Brown*, Abrera*, Gomes*, Reyes*, Lopez*

Fri. Eve., Oct. 25, 8 P.M.

NEW BALLET BY LAR LUBOVITCH - Kent*, Gaither, E. Cornejo, Gomes, Stiefel, Corella

NEW BALLET BY ROBERT HILL - Abrera*, Lopez*, Torres*

OFFENBACH IN THE UNDERWORLD ? Dvorovenko*, Saveliev*, Meunier*, Molina*, E. Cornejo*, Radetsky*

Sat., Oct. 26, 11:30 A.M. ABTKids

OFFENBACH IN THE UNDERWORLD (Excerpt) - TBA

A TRIBUTE TO GEORGE HARRISON (Excerpts) ? TBA

SYLVIA PAS DE DEUX - TBA

Sat. Mat., Oct. 26, 2 P.M.

NEW BALLET BY LAR LUBOVITCH - S. Brown,Gaither, E. Cornejo, Gomes, Stiefel, Corella

GRAND PAS CLASSIQUE - Wiles**, Hallberg**

SYLVIA PAS DE DEUX - Dvorovenko, Belotserkovsky

OFFENBACH IN THE UNDERWORLD - Ananiashvili, E. Brown, Abrera, Gomes, Reyes, Lopez

Sat. Eve., Oct. 26, 8 P.M.

NEW BALLET BY LAR LUBOVITCH - S. Brown,Gaither, E. Cornejo, Gomes, Stiefel, Corella

NEW BALLET BY JAMES KUDELKA - Kent, Gomes, De Luz

Sun. Mat., Oct. 27, 2 P.M.

NEW BALLET BY ROBERT HILL - Kent, Corella,Gomes

THE GARDEN OF VILLANDRY - S. Brown, Molina, E. Brown

GRAND PAS CLASSIQUE - Wiles, Hallberg

OFFENBACH IN THE UNDERWORLD - Dvorovenko, Saveliev, Meunier, Molina, E. Cornejo, Radetsky

Sun. Eve., Oct. 27, 7:30 P.M.

CLEAR - Murphy, Stiefel

NEW BALLET BY JAMES KUDELKA - Kent, Gomes, Corella

- - -

First time in a role:

Tues. Eve., 10/15 - Saveliev in Diana and Acteon; Faye in Fancy Free

Wed. Eve., 10/16 - Murphy in Grand Pas Classique; Meunier in third

movement in Symphony in C

Thurs. Eve., 10/17 - S. Brown, Molina, E. Brown in The Garden of Villandry; Murphy in Fancy Free

Sat. Mat., 10/19 - Dvorovenko, Belotserkovsky in Grand Pas Classique

Sun. Mat., 10/20 - Thomas, Reed, Bragado-Young in The Garden of

Villandry; Herrera, Molina, De Luz in New Ballet by James Kudelka; Lopez, Gomes, Snow in Fancy Free

Thurs. Eve., 10/24 - Ananiashvili, E. Brown, Abrera, Gomes, Reyes, Lopez

in Offenbach in the Underworld

Fri. Eve., 10/25 - Kent in New Ballet by Lar Lubovitch; Abrera, Lopez, Torres in New Ballet by Robert Hill; Dvorovenko, Saveliev, Meunier, Molina, E. Cornejo,

Radetsky in Offenbach in the Underworld

Ffrst time in a role with ABT:

Sat. Mat., 10/19 - Meunier in first movement in Symphony in C

Sun. Eve., 10/20 - Part in second movement in Symphony in C

Sat. Mat., 10/26 - Wiles, Hallberg in Grand Pas Classique