This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

postmodern Saturn?

After you've been watching dance for awhile, you begin to see it everywhere. But I think there's a professional hand behind a new Saturn commercial, which shows "ordinary people" commuting. No cars, just people. Stopping for a friend, opening a car door (lots of gesture; I wouldn't call it mime). It reminds me of the dozens and dozens of "found movement" pieces I watched in the 1970s, except this one is very orderly, and very mainstream. (The population is not diverse, either demographically or somatically.) But it's site specific -- oh, how they would have loved this in the Judson days. An entire 8-lane highway, filled with dancers, nicely blocked, too.

Anyone else see this one?

I did see this and found it an unusually pleasant commercial. Thanks, Alexandra, for pointing out the dance connotations. At the other extreme, there was one some time back showing parents driving up to fetch their children from school. One harried woman is running in traffic, carless, as two girls emerge from the building. "That your mom?" one asks. The other mulls it over for a while and then says, "Nah." I found this ashamed-of-your-mother attitude extremely unpleasant. I've forgotten what they were selling.

Geiko Insurance. The point was that the mom had no car, was pretending to BE a car - down to stopping for a traffic signal, having a license plate on her rear, and having a horn in her hand which she tooted to attract her daughter's attention. Any kid would be embarrassed to have Mom show up at school like that. I think the point of the ad was that if you have Geiko insurance, you get a loaner car and don't have problems like that. I admit, I'm a Geiko ad fan - just LOVE that little gekko in most of them. :)