This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Variations, A Farewell to Music

I notice that Suzanne Farrell Ballet is performing both of these pieces at the Kennedy Center in October, and I've never heard of either one. Are they Bejart's? Who are the composers? What are the ballets like? Thanks!

Ken, I know nothing about A Farewell to Music, but Variations is a Balanchine ballet, and could be either the 1966 version, where the music was played twice, first used as a male sextet and then as a solo for Farrell, or a second solo for Farrell, which was either from '72 or very late ('82) - I don't have my "Blue Bible" with me to check. The music is Stravinsky's Variations in memoriam Aldous Huxley.

According to the "Blue Bible" (Choreography by George Balanchine: A Catalogue of Works), the solo version of Variations had its premiere on July 2, 1982. The accompanying note reads:"The premiere of this ballet intended for the Stravinsky Centennial Celebration took place two weeks after its official close. Balanchine had first choreographed a solo for Suzanne Farrell to this music as the final section of his 1966 work for the New York City Ballet, in which the music was played three times. The 1982 work was entirely rechoreographed. This is the last ballet choreographed by Balanchine."

The other day I went to the website of Florida State University, where Farrell is Artist in Residence, and found that Anthony Morgan (choreographer of A Farewell to Music) is a member of the faculty there. I learned from his bio that he is originally from Canada and danced with numerous modern companies including Martha Graham and Pearl Lang. He had his own group in New York, the Anthony Morgan Dance Company, from 1985 to 1992. At the FSU dance department, he is listed as teaching "Contemporary, Choreography and Composition, Dance Appreciation."