63 replies to this topic

#61 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 05:51 PM

Have others -- besides Ari and Rachel, obviously -- been able to access this link? I have been steadfastly unable to using Netscape, but did get through using Internet Explorer.

I thought Gottlieb's piece was rather brave (and, of course, I agree with him). I think truth and justice do matter, and I'm glad Miller has been called, publicly, on the shifting sands of her response and explanation for this.

I'm very glad that Elizabeth Zimmer at the Voice has offered Tobias space, but it's not the same thing. It will be shared space, and her pieces will be not quite as visible and, more important, there will be no dance criticism in one of the major magazines which purports to cover the New York "scene." So from this week, any Big Apple Newcomer, or teen coming of age on the magazine stand, will not even have a glimmer that dance might interest him, or might be important.

I thought Gottlieb's take on this quite fine, especially this quote:

As for Ms. Tobias, she will undoubtedly find other places to write about dance. But the issue isn’t personal. Every art form needs educated and uncompromising criticism to keep itself honest. Eliminating a major voice from an important venue—either for budgetary reasons or to bring in someone trendier—is not merely a dance-world scandal, it’s a dark comment on the priorities of today’s journalism.

#62 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 06:06 PM

It took two tries, but I got it (using AOL's browser). The article is interesting for both the Tobias comments and his take on both the Trocks and Cunningham.

#63 piccolo

piccolo

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 09:13 AM

I can't find the thread where we were talking about this but look what I just saw at www.artsjournal.com:

BAD MOVES: New York Magazine
miscalculated when it fired dance critic Tobi
Tobias. But the magazine has been cutting
back on space for its other critics, and some
might worry other cutbacks are in the works.
"Eliminating a major voice from an important
venue—either for budgetary reasons or to
bring in someone trendier—is not merely a
dance-world scandal, it’s a dark comment on
the priorities of today’s journalism." New York
Observer [low down in the column] 08/21/02

(If you go to the above website, there is a link to the full article.)

#64 LMCtech

LMCtech

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 04:06 PM

With all the woodging on Ms. Miller's part, I wonder what the REAL story is. I have always found that if a person changes their explanation nemerous times, the first explanation probably wasn't the whole truth or even part of the truth.

If ms. Miller didn't like the job Ms. Tobias was doing, she should have said that, and I would have still been disappointed in her decision, but would have at least respected her honesty. Now I can't respect her for anything, especially the handling of this entire debacle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):