This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

What Should I See?

Next year, my family and I will be visiting NYC (joyous!) for six nights, and because I have dragged them into my quagmire of ballet-obsession, they have agreed to take me to the ballet. :)

It'll begin around March 23rd, and so I was thinking if the seasoned ballet-goers know what kind of ballets NYCB and ABT perform around this time. For instance, I really wished that the Tchaikovsky Spectacular is held at this time, but is it like a mid-June thing only? Or mid-month? As I've said before, I have tastes leaning towards the die-hard classics, 'ballet at its best', as some say.

So.. what's there to see?

--Luka

Luka, I'm going to move this to Anything Goes. I'm afraid no one will see it here, as this forum is meant to be more for "My company is performing next Thursday" kinds of posts.

NYCB's 2001-2002 season has been announced, so there may be info on their web site. I don't know about ABT.

Well, Luka, your visit will be too early in the year to catch ABT. The Metropolitan Opera season lasts into April, so it won't have ended when you visit. I advise you to go to the NYCB site later in the year to get an idea of their schedule. Right now their site only has their current season and the Saratoga schedule. There may also be visiting dance companies at the New York City Center. Perhaps someone in the group could tell us their URL, so you could check them out. Even if there isn't anything ballet for you to see while you are in NYC, you'll be kept very busy visiting all the sites. You might even catch a Broadway show. (Hint: check and see if the show you want to see is up on the board at TKTS in Times Square - that way you can get the tickets much cheaper.) Enjoy.

The NYCB Winter season typically runs through the end of February and I can advise for sure that the City Opera opens on March 1, so there will certainly be no prime time ballet around March 23. Probably the Joyce Theatre would have something going. City Center often hosts travelling troupes.

Guest Juliecute

Well, i personally LOVE the Nutcracker, but since you wont be here around the time that plays...

I always am also strictly in to classical ballet. I've seen Tchaikovsky Spectacular and it was beautiful, expecially Tchaikovsky's Pas de duex, which is one of my favorites. I definetly recommend it! Anyway have lots of fun on your trip!