This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Diablo Ballet, Walnut Creek CA

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 Brioche

Brioche

Inactive Member

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 10 September 2002 - 02:01 PM

I am happy to say the media is picking our story up in a big way in our final week of fundraising to Save Diablo Ballet.

Our current total: $107,135.00

We've received a large number of donations due to the article that ran in the Contra Costa Times on Monday, Sept. 9(see Links in the News board.)

And contrary to the rumor that is circulating, no one has been hired as our new Artistic Director.

Best,

David Hicks
Marketing Manager
Diablo Ballet

#17 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,279 posts

Posted 10 September 2002 - 02:04 PM

When you're flush, David, I'm sure you'll have dozens of candidates for that post :)

This is good news -- congratulations. The goal is definitely in reach. There's nothing like a Drop Dead Date to focus the attention of donors!

I'm sure this has been a difficult time for the company -- if you'd care to share any details, please feel free. I think people will be interested.

#18 Renee Renouf

Renee Renouf

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 10:44 PM

Someone did mention to me that Lauren Jonas has had two job offers, but I wasn't aware that she planned to leave Diablo Ballet.

What's the story?

#19 Brioche

Brioche

Inactive Member

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 11 September 2002 - 11:07 PM

I love the Bay Area Dance rumor mill, it's just so dang inaccurate!! LOL

There is no truth to what you've heard. Where do people get this stuff?

Today's tally has us at close to: $117,000.

David

#20 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,279 posts

Posted 12 September 2002 - 07:28 AM

Thanks, David. 117 -- that's in spittin' distance :) Congratulations!!!

#21 2 Left Feet

2 Left Feet

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 September 2002 - 08:09 AM

I'm so glad. It looks like the light is starting to become visible at the end of the tunnel.

Every dance lover should be looking at their local company to make sure they don't get in this situation themselves. What has happened to Diablo could easily happen anywhere. Give your time and money to keep them all afloat.

David:

What ever became of the NY Times and NPR? And perhaps you should make a call to Lewis Segal at the LA Times to get him to Victorville tomorrow night. He carries a lot of weight in dance in Los Angeles.

#22 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,279 posts

Posted 12 September 2002 - 08:16 AM

I'd like to second 2LeftFeet's point, that This Could Happen to You!!!

It's hard, because ticket prices are generally already high, and it should be enough to attend performances and not worry about the fate of the company, but I think it's fair to say that most companies struggle. Of course, they need the support of those who are in a position to give larger amounts of money, but they also need the support of the community.

#23 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 12 September 2002 - 08:36 AM

It's true, unfortunately. Ballet is a deficit operation in general. Ask most companies what sort of debt they are carrying - you'd be surprised - or ask how much ticket prices would be if they were supposed to cover all revenue.

Congrats to Diablo for getting this far and I hope you pull through!

#24 Brioche

Brioche

Inactive Member

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 12 September 2002 - 09:21 AM

Leigh, Alexandra, 2 Left-
Thank you for your kind words! This has been an amazing week and as I've said before a bit overwhelming(in a good way.) I haven't been to the office yet, but will post a new total later in the day.

2 Left - I (and a number of others) have contacted the NY Times and NPR, but to no avail.....yet!! We will persist and if anyone out there has a connection at either of them please pass on our story. We are grateful that the media in the SanFran/Bay Area has picked up the story and run with it.

More later,

David Hicks
Marketing Manager
Diablo Ballet

PS: Off to fight inaccurate reporting AND the rumor mill! :-)

#25 Brioche

Brioche

Inactive Member

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 13 September 2002 - 12:00 AM

Today's tally(drumroll please): $118,155.00

Only $31,845. to go. :-)

Additionally, we have received many offers for "in kind" donations. People who don't have cash but have talents in many areas (i.e. computer programing, e-commerce fundraising events, donations of goods to sell at our concession table, volunteer to stuff envelopes, etc.) In it's way it's as exciting as getting cash and one area we need to re-develop is our volunteer base.

David Hicks
Marketing Manager
Diablo Ballet

#26 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,279 posts

Posted 13 September 2002 - 06:16 AM

You're getting there! Keep us posted.

#27 2 Left Feet

2 Left Feet

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 September 2002 - 07:03 AM

David:

You may already know this from Lauren, I was able to move some money on my end and I'm sending my donation your way today.

Wish I could see you guys tonight in Victorville. May I propose either the Luckman at Cal Stat LA or the Cal State Northridge performing arts center for future LA dates? Both are very receptive to dance -- quite aggressive in fact.

Please do pursue the NPR angle. I may know someone who can help here in LA. I'll try to find out today. It may be a little late for your current crisis, but it's a story worth getting out there for every other arts organization in the US.

Ed
2LF

#28 Brioche

Brioche

Inactive Member

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 13 September 2002 - 08:56 AM

2 Left-

Thank you for you suggestions, support and your donation. We're in the home stretch and I'll keep the board posted.

Best,
David

#29 Brioche

Brioche

Inactive Member

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 13 September 2002 - 04:42 PM

We close the day at: $123,670.00

An official statement regarding the Save Diablo Ballet Campaign will be made on Wednesday, September 18.

Stay tuned,

David

#30 Brioche

Brioche

Inactive Member

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 10:45 AM

Update!

We will continue!

Many thanks to the Diablo Regional Arts Associaton, Peggy White - Executive Director and the Dean and Margaret Lesher Foundation, Kathleen Odne- Executive Director for donating the final $10,000.00 that we needed to reach our goal. And our thanks to Steve Lesher for his continued support of Diablo Ballet.

Realisitically (as in all non-profits) we need consistent support from many sources - private, corporate and foundation. We are going to continue to drive this Campaign. The more money we can raise right now, the better the future will be for us.

Many, many thanks to all of the "Ballet Alerter's'" and associates for your good wishes and positive energy. This has been an incredibly intense month and I feel today as if I'll need three months to recover, but, there's much work to be done!

I have said it somewhat tongue in cheek previously, but Lauren and I really could write a book about the events of the last year! :-)

David Hicks
Marketing Manager
Diablo Ballet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):